Apr 24, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are set to make history in the near future after calling up Jared Staal from AHL Charlotte on Wednesday.
Jared, 22, is the younger brother of Carolina forwards Eric and Jordan — the fourth brother, Marc, is currently on the Rangers’ injured reserve list — and could make his NHL debut this week as the ‘Canes take on the Rangers on Thursday and the Penguins on Saturday.
According to Elias Sports (by way of Carolina PR man Mike Sundheim) the Staals are set to become just the fourth trio of brothers to play for the same team in the same season in NHL history:
— Max, Doug and Reggie Bentley played for the 1942-43 Chicago Blackhawks
— Bob, Barclay and Bill Plager played for the St. Louis Blues in the late 60’s and early 70’s
— Peter, Anton and Marian Stastny played for the Quebec Nordiques during the early-to-mid 80’s
In case you’re wondering how Jordan and Jared are going to figure out jerseys — Sundheim reports that both will have “J. Staal” on their sweaters, and Jared will wear No. 34.
(Which, in case you’re curious, has been out of circulation since Manny Legace last wore it in 2010.)
The youngest Staal has played in 52 games with AHL Charlotte this year, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS while racking up 25 PIM.
He was originally selected by Phoenix in the second-round (49th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 14
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (49)