Apr 24, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are set to make history in the near future after calling up Jared Staal from AHL Charlotte on Wednesday.
Jared, 22, is the younger brother of Carolina forwards Eric and Jordan — the fourth brother, Marc, is currently on the Rangers’ injured reserve list — and could make his NHL debut this week as the ‘Canes take on the Rangers on Thursday and the Penguins on Saturday.
According to Elias Sports (by way of Carolina PR man Mike Sundheim) the Staals are set to become just the fourth trio of brothers to play for the same team in the same season in NHL history:
– Max, Doug and Reggie Bentley played for the 1942-43 Chicago Blackhawks
– Bob, Barclay and Bill Plager played for the St. Louis Blues in the late 60’s and early 70’s
– Peter, Anton and Marian Stastny played for the Quebec Nordiques during the early-to-mid 80’s
In case you’re wondering how Jordan and Jared are going to figure out jerseys — Sundheim reports that both will have “J. Staal” on their sweaters, and Jared will wear No. 34.
(Which, in case you’re curious, has been out of circulation since Manny Legace last wore it in 2010.)
The youngest Staal has played in 52 games with AHL Charlotte this year, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS while racking up 25 PIM.
He was originally selected by Phoenix in the second-round (49th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)