Apr 24, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are set to make history in the near future after calling up Jared Staal from AHL Charlotte on Wednesday.
Jared, 22, is the younger brother of Carolina forwards Eric and Jordan — the fourth brother, Marc, is currently on the Rangers’ injured reserve list — and could make his NHL debut this week as the ‘Canes take on the Rangers on Thursday and the Penguins on Saturday.
According to Elias Sports (by way of Carolina PR man Mike Sundheim) the Staals are set to become just the fourth trio of brothers to play for the same team in the same season in NHL history:
– Max, Doug and Reggie Bentley played for the 1942-43 Chicago Blackhawks
– Bob, Barclay and Bill Plager played for the St. Louis Blues in the late 60′s and early 70′s
– Peter, Anton and Marian Stastny played for the Quebec Nordiques during the early-to-mid 80′s
In case you’re wondering how Jordan and Jared are going to figure out jerseys — Sundheim reports that both will have “J. Staal” on their sweaters, and Jared will wear No. 34.
(Which, in case you’re curious, has been out of circulation since Manny Legace last wore it in 2010.)
The youngest Staal has played in 52 games with AHL Charlotte this year, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS while racking up 25 PIM.
He was originally selected by Phoenix in the second-round (49th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)