Apr 24, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are set to make history in the near future after calling up Jared Staal from AHL Charlotte on Wednesday.
Jared, 22, is the younger brother of Carolina forwards Eric and Jordan — the fourth brother, Marc, is currently on the Rangers’ injured reserve list — and could make his NHL debut this week as the ‘Canes take on the Rangers on Thursday and the Penguins on Saturday.
According to Elias Sports (by way of Carolina PR man Mike Sundheim) the Staals are set to become just the fourth trio of brothers to play for the same team in the same season in NHL history:
– Max, Doug and Reggie Bentley played for the 1942-43 Chicago Blackhawks
– Bob, Barclay and Bill Plager played for the St. Louis Blues in the late 60′s and early 70′s
– Peter, Anton and Marian Stastny played for the Quebec Nordiques during the early-to-mid 80′s
In case you’re wondering how Jordan and Jared are going to figure out jerseys — Sundheim reports that both will have “J. Staal” on their sweaters, and Jared will wear No. 34.
(Which, in case you’re curious, has been out of circulation since Manny Legace last wore it in 2010.)
The youngest Staal has played in 52 games with AHL Charlotte this year, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS while racking up 25 PIM.
He was originally selected by Phoenix in the second-round (49th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 0
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 58
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)