Apr 24, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes are set to make history in the near future after calling up Jared Staal from AHL Charlotte on Wednesday.
Jared, 22, is the younger brother of Carolina forwards Eric and Jordan — the fourth brother, Marc, is currently on the Rangers’ injured reserve list — and could make his NHL debut this week as the ‘Canes take on the Rangers on Thursday and the Penguins on Saturday.
According to Elias Sports (by way of Carolina PR man Mike Sundheim) the Staals are set to become just the fourth trio of brothers to play for the same team in the same season in NHL history:
— Max, Doug and Reggie Bentley played for the 1942-43 Chicago Blackhawks
— Bob, Barclay and Bill Plager played for the St. Louis Blues in the late 60’s and early 70’s
— Peter, Anton and Marian Stastny played for the Quebec Nordiques during the early-to-mid 80’s
In case you’re wondering how Jordan and Jared are going to figure out jerseys — Sundheim reports that both will have “J. Staal” on their sweaters, and Jared will wear No. 34.
(Which, in case you’re curious, has been out of circulation since Manny Legace last wore it in 2010.)
The youngest Staal has played in 52 games with AHL Charlotte this year, scoring 4G-3A-7PTS while racking up 25 PIM.
He was originally selected by Phoenix in the second-round (49th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)