Apr 23, 2013, 11:16 PM EST
After looking a little shaky lately – particularly in a troubling loss against the Calgary Flames – the Minnesota Wild beat the Los Angeles Kings 2-1 to give themselves more breathing room in the West on Tuesday.
“This is a huge, huge game for our team,” Clutterbuck said. “This was probably the biggest game I’ve ever played in for this franchise.”
While the Wild aren’t totally out of the woods, this victory solidifies their hold on the seventh seed in the conference (53 standings points with two games left). Other fringe teams could pass that 53-point mark, although the Phoenix Coyotes are no longer a worry for Minnesota.
On paper, they should clean up in their final duo of contests, too. They face the Edmonton Oilers at home on Friday and then finish things off with a road game against the Colorado Avalanche on Saturday.
Tuesday wasn’t all good for the Wild – they must be concerned about key trade deadline acquisition Jason Pominville after a questionable elbow by Dustin Brown – but at least they’re that much closer to locking up a spot.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)