Apr 23, 2013, 8:20 AM EDT
Winnipeg’s victory over Buffalo to hang tight in the race for the postseason had an unfortunate casualty for the Jets.
Forward Kyle Wellwood blocked a Thomas Vanek shot in the second period of the team’s 2-1 win and missed the third period with an injured hand. Coach Claude Noel said after the game the prognosis is not good as Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun reports.
“Kyle Wellwood will be out long-term with an injured hand,” head coach Claude Noel said afterwards.
The injury will keep him out of action for the rest of the season whether the Jets make the playoffs or not and the timing couldn’t be worse. Over the last nine games, Wellwood has scored four goals and has three assists in helping the Jets to a 6-3-0 record over that span and getting the team back in the race for both the playoffs and the Southeast Division crown.
Now they’ll have to find a way to replace his production in the lineup for their final three games at least. Nik Antropov and Anthony Peluso are candidates to get into the lineup after both are over injuries of their own.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)