Apr 23, 2013, 8:20 AM EDT
Winnipeg’s victory over Buffalo to hang tight in the race for the postseason had an unfortunate casualty for the Jets.
Forward Kyle Wellwood blocked a Thomas Vanek shot in the second period of the team’s 2-1 win and missed the third period with an injured hand. Coach Claude Noel said after the game the prognosis is not good as Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun reports.
“Kyle Wellwood will be out long-term with an injured hand,” head coach Claude Noel said afterwards.
The injury will keep him out of action for the rest of the season whether the Jets make the playoffs or not and the timing couldn’t be worse. Over the last nine games, Wellwood has scored four goals and has three assists in helping the Jets to a 6-3-0 record over that span and getting the team back in the race for both the playoffs and the Southeast Division crown.
Now they’ll have to find a way to replace his production in the lineup for their final three games at least. Nik Antropov and Anthony Peluso are candidates to get into the lineup after both are over injuries of their own.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 12
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 13
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)