Apr 23, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
On what will be a busy night in the National Hockey League — 10 games all told — NBC Sports Network will be front and center with a pair of games in an East-West doubleheader.
Up first is Boston at Philly (7:00 p.m. ET), a game that has little meaning for the Flyers but plenty for the Bruins.
Boston is looking to secure points and stay ahead of Montreal for the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference — currently, the B’s are tied on points with the Habs (59) but are ahead in the standings thanks to games played (44 to Montreal’s 45).
Neither team has played exceptionally well as of late. The Flyers are 5-5-0 in their last 10 and were recently bounced from playoff contention while the Bruins are 5-4-1 over their last 10, and have failed to surpass a slumping Montreal team in the points chase.
Once these two teams are done, focus turns out West for a huge game in terms of playoff jockeying.
The Dallas Stars are in San Jose to take on the Sharks (10:00 p.m. ET, and in a very unique position. Despite sitting 10th in the West, the Stars are technically in control of their own playoff fate as they have games remaining against the teams they’re chasing — Detroit, and Columbus.
That said, those upcoming games might mean little if the Stars can’t get a result tonight in the Shark Tank.
Not that it’ll be easy.
The Sharks are one of the best home teams in the league this year, posting a 16-2-5 record at HP Pavilion. San Jose also has plenty to play for tonight as they didn’t get any help on the playoff clinching front last night — if Phoenix had defeated Detroit (the ‘Yotes lost 4-0), San Jose would’ve automatically qualified for the postseason.
Now, they’ll have to do it themselves.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)