Apr 23, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
On what will be a busy night in the National Hockey League — 10 games all told — NBC Sports Network will be front and center with a pair of games in an East-West doubleheader.
Up first is Boston at Philly (7:00 p.m. ET), a game that has little meaning for the Flyers but plenty for the Bruins.
Boston is looking to secure points and stay ahead of Montreal for the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference — currently, the B’s are tied on points with the Habs (59) but are ahead in the standings thanks to games played (44 to Montreal’s 45).
Neither team has played exceptionally well as of late. The Flyers are 5-5-0 in their last 10 and were recently bounced from playoff contention while the Bruins are 5-4-1 over their last 10, and have failed to surpass a slumping Montreal team in the points chase.
Once these two teams are done, focus turns out West for a huge game in terms of playoff jockeying.
The Dallas Stars are in San Jose to take on the Sharks (10:00 p.m. ET, and in a very unique position. Despite sitting 10th in the West, the Stars are technically in control of their own playoff fate as they have games remaining against the teams they’re chasing — Detroit, and Columbus.
That said, those upcoming games might mean little if the Stars can’t get a result tonight in the Shark Tank.
Not that it’ll be easy.
The Sharks are one of the best home teams in the league this year, posting a 16-2-5 record at HP Pavilion. San Jose also has plenty to play for tonight as they didn’t get any help on the playoff clinching front last night — if Phoenix had defeated Detroit (the ‘Yotes lost 4-0), San Jose would’ve automatically qualified for the postseason.
Now, they’ll have to do it themselves.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
They’ve dug themselves a big hole early on.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
That and all the links you need to start the day.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EST
Perhaps up to $71 million for next season.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)