Apr 23, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Funny what a victory over the NHL’s best team can do to the mood in a city.
Even better if the NHL’s best team happens to be a hated rival.
This morning, the night after a 3-1 Canucks win over the Chicago Blackhawks at Rogers Arena, Vancouver hockey fans woke up to read about an “inspiring performance” from a team that played its “best game in ages.”
Never mind that ‘Hawks coach Joel Quenneville called it his team’s “worst game of the year,” Canucks fans haven’t seen many performances like the one they saw Monday from their guys. (Not lately, at least. They saw plenty two years ago.)
Vancouver outshot the Blackhawks, 32-25, and played much of the game in Chicago’s end of the ice.
“I thought our effort level was great, our execution was great, our defensive play was great, physicality, it was the whole package,” said goalie Cory Schneider, who stopped 24 of 25 Chicago shots. “If we play that way, and we know we can, we can beat a lot of teams in this league.”
Daniel Sedin was named first star after scoring once and adding an assist. His brother Henrik was the second star, with two helpers.
If the Canucks are going to have success in the playoffs, the twins will need to win the possession battle and produce.
“From the first shift we were focused on getting pucks deep and we were on the forecheck and forechecking the right way, which is a key for our team,” said Daniel.
Granted, it was only one game. It didn’t completely erase the memory of performances like last Thursday’s 5-1 loss in Dallas, or all the wins that might have been losses if not for Schneider.
With the No. 3 seed in the Western Conference wrapped up and no chance to move up, the Canucks play out the string by hosting Anaheim Thursday and going to Edmonton Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)