Apr 23, 2013, 1:09 PM EDT
New Jersey forward Adam Henrique will be a healthy scratch tonight when his Devils, already eliminated from the playoffs, host Montreal.
“I think he needs to take a step back for a night and just watch,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said, per The Record. “His confidence isn’t where it needs to be. So, that’s the solution I’ve come up with.”
Henrique, 23, has just 11 goals and five assists in 40 games. Last year, he had 16 goals and 35 assists in 74 games as a rookie.
Hence, the need to “take a step back.”
Obviously, the Devils could use more than five helpers from one of their top centers. But the lack of assists is surely somewhat related to his teammates being absolutely snakebit this season.
Also, Henrique doesn’t have Zach Parise to pass the puck to anymore.
Ilya Kovalchuk‘s injury won’t have helped either.
“I still feel like I’m there battling and getting some opportunities,” said Henrique, “but I’ll watch the game tonight and take it as a positive thing where I’ll come back and play well.”
- Sabres name Byslma head coach 0
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 3
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 45
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)