Apr 23, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Demers, 24, hurt his foot on Apr. 18 against Minnesota and didn’t play during Sunday’s 4-3 loss to Columbus.
He was seen in a walking boot and head coach Todd McLellan said the club had already ruled Demers out for tonight’s game against Dallas and Wednesday’s game in Phoenix.
Demers missed the first seven games of the season with wrist injury suffered in Europe during the lockout, then missed four more in late March with a head injury.
When healthy, he has been a presence on San Jose’s back end.
He has 1G-2A-3PTS in 22 games this season, averaging 18:38 TOI per game and 1:18 in shorthanded ice time.
As for who’ll fill in?
Veteran Scott Hannan appears to be the first choice. Acquired at the trade deadline from Nashville, he played in just his second game as a Shark on Sunday against Columbus, but went minus-2 in 19 minutes of action.
McLellan could turn to rookie blueliner Matt Tennyson, though he’s only appeared in three games all season.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)