Apr 23, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Only nine teams are left in the playoff race in the Eastern Conference.
Tonight in Washington, ninth-place Winnipeg can move into the No. 3 seed with a regulation victory over the Southeast Division-leading Capitals. A regulation loss and the Jets would need a lot of help to even make the postseason.
So yeah, it’s a pretty big game.
“I think it’s been circled on our calendar for a long time now,” Jets captain Andrew Ladd said last night after a 2-1 victory over the Sabres. “We wanted to put ourselves in a position where tomorrow’s going to be a meaningful game, and we’ve done that. So here it is.”
Here’s how it looks at Sports Club Stats:
The Rangers and Islanders are also in action tonight. The former is in Florida; the latter in Carolina.
Meanwhile, the Ottawa Senators have to wait until Thursday’s game in Washington before they get back at it. The Sens have lost two straight in regulation and finish with the Caps, Flyers (at home) and Bruins (in Boston).
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)