Apr 23, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Only nine teams are left in the playoff race in the Eastern Conference.
Tonight in Washington, ninth-place Winnipeg can move into the No. 3 seed with a regulation victory over the Southeast Division-leading Capitals. A regulation loss and the Jets would need a lot of help to even make the postseason.
So yeah, it’s a pretty big game.
“I think it’s been circled on our calendar for a long time now,” Jets captain Andrew Ladd said last night after a 2-1 victory over the Sabres. “We wanted to put ourselves in a position where tomorrow’s going to be a meaningful game, and we’ve done that. So here it is.”
Here’s how it looks at Sports Club Stats:
The Rangers and Islanders are also in action tonight. The former is in Florida; the latter in Carolina.
Meanwhile, the Ottawa Senators have to wait until Thursday’s game in Washington before they get back at it. The Sens have lost two straight in regulation and finish with the Caps, Flyers (at home) and Bruins (in Boston).
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)