Apr 23, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
And those five teams are…
New York Islanders — If they beat Carolina and the Jets lose to Washington in any fashion. Or, if they get a point versus the Hurricanes and the Jets lose in regulation.
New York Rangers — If they beat Florida and the Jets lose in regulation.
Washington Capitals — If they beat the Jets in regulation or overtime, they’ll win the Southeast Division.
San Jose Sharks — If they get a point against the Stars.
St. Louis Blues — If they get a point against the Avs.
(Info via NHL.com)
Of those five teams, the Islanders have to be the most pleasant surprise. Nobody denies there’s talent on that roster — John Tavares wasn’t drafted first overall for nothing — but not many expected New York, with its strict budget, to finish ahead of Philadelphia or be neck-and-neck with the Rangers.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 50
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50