Apr 23, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
And those five teams are…
New York Islanders — If they beat Carolina and the Jets lose to Washington in any fashion. Or, if they get a point versus the Hurricanes and the Jets lose in regulation.
New York Rangers — If they beat Florida and the Jets lose in regulation.
Washington Capitals — If they beat the Jets in regulation or overtime, they’ll win the Southeast Division.
San Jose Sharks — If they get a point against the Stars.
St. Louis Blues — If they get a point against the Avs.
(Info via NHL.com)
Of those five teams, the Islanders have to be the most pleasant surprise. Nobody denies there’s talent on that roster — John Tavares wasn’t drafted first overall for nothing — but not many expected New York, with its strict budget, to finish ahead of Philadelphia or be neck-and-neck with the Rangers.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 3
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25