Apr 23, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
And those five teams are…
New York Islanders — If they beat Carolina and the Jets lose to Washington in any fashion. Or, if they get a point versus the Hurricanes and the Jets lose in regulation.
New York Rangers — If they beat Florida and the Jets lose in regulation.
Washington Capitals — If they beat the Jets in regulation or overtime, they’ll win the Southeast Division.
San Jose Sharks — If they get a point against the Stars.
St. Louis Blues — If they get a point against the Avs.
(Info via NHL.com)
Of those five teams, the Islanders have to be the most pleasant surprise. Nobody denies there’s talent on that roster — John Tavares wasn’t drafted first overall for nothing — but not many expected New York, with its strict budget, to finish ahead of Philadelphia or be neck-and-neck with the Rangers.
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 23
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 111
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79