Apr 23, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
And those five teams are…
New York Islanders — If they beat Carolina and the Jets lose to Washington in any fashion. Or, if they get a point versus the Hurricanes and the Jets lose in regulation.
New York Rangers — If they beat Florida and the Jets lose in regulation.
Washington Capitals — If they beat the Jets in regulation or overtime, they’ll win the Southeast Division.
San Jose Sharks — If they get a point against the Stars.
St. Louis Blues — If they get a point against the Avs.
(Info via NHL.com)
Of those five teams, the Islanders have to be the most pleasant surprise. Nobody denies there’s talent on that roster — John Tavares wasn’t drafted first overall for nothing — but not many expected New York, with its strict budget, to finish ahead of Philadelphia or be neck-and-neck with the Rangers.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)