Apr 23, 2013, 4:27 PM EST
And those five teams are…
New York Islanders — If they beat Carolina and the Jets lose to Washington in any fashion. Or, if they get a point versus the Hurricanes and the Jets lose in regulation.
New York Rangers — If they beat Florida and the Jets lose in regulation.
Washington Capitals — If they beat the Jets in regulation or overtime, they’ll win the Southeast Division.
San Jose Sharks — If they get a point against the Stars.
St. Louis Blues — If they get a point against the Avs.
(Info via NHL.com)
Of those five teams, the Islanders have to be the most pleasant surprise. Nobody denies there’s talent on that roster — John Tavares wasn’t drafted first overall for nothing — but not many expected New York, with its strict budget, to finish ahead of Philadelphia or be neck-and-neck with the Rangers.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (170)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)