Apr 23, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray, the second overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, skated with teammates on Tuesday for the first time since undergoing shoulder surgery.
“To get out there and do some drills with the NHL guys, that was a great step for me,” Murray told BlueJackets.com. “It’s good to get out with them, for sure.
“Before today it was just me skating by myself, so it was nice to be on the ice and interact with them.”
Murray hurt his shoulder while playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16, trying to break his fall after taking a hit. A decision was made in January for him to undergo corrective surgery, with an estimated timetable for return of six months.
Prior to the injury, the 19-year-old was considered a strong contender to make the Columbus roster. He had 17 points through 23 games with the Silvertips and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
Last spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 IIHF World Championships, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
As a result, Murray became the second-youngest player to ever represent Team Canada at the Worlds. Only Paul Kariya (18 years, six months at the 1993 tournament) was younger.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 100
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (103)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)