Apr 23, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray, the second overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, skated with teammates on Tuesday for the first time since undergoing shoulder surgery.
“To get out there and do some drills with the NHL guys, that was a great step for me,” Murray told BlueJackets.com. “It’s good to get out with them, for sure.
“Before today it was just me skating by myself, so it was nice to be on the ice and interact with them.”
Murray hurt his shoulder while playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16, trying to break his fall after taking a hit. A decision was made in January for him to undergo corrective surgery, with an estimated timetable for return of six months.
Prior to the injury, the 19-year-old was considered a strong contender to make the Columbus roster. He had 17 points through 23 games with the Silvertips and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
Last spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 IIHF World Championships, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
As a result, Murray became the second-youngest player to ever represent Team Canada at the Worlds. Only Paul Kariya (18 years, six months at the 1993 tournament) was younger.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)