Apr 23, 2013, 3:53 PM EST
Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray, the second overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, skated with teammates on Tuesday for the first time since undergoing shoulder surgery.
“To get out there and do some drills with the NHL guys, that was a great step for me,” Murray told BlueJackets.com. “It’s good to get out with them, for sure.
“Before today it was just me skating by myself, so it was nice to be on the ice and interact with them.”
Murray hurt his shoulder while playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16, trying to break his fall after taking a hit. A decision was made in January for him to undergo corrective surgery, with an estimated timetable for return of six months.
Prior to the injury, the 19-year-old was considered a strong contender to make the Columbus roster. He had 17 points through 23 games with the Silvertips and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
Last spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 IIHF World Championships, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
As a result, Murray became the second-youngest player to ever represent Team Canada at the Worlds. Only Paul Kariya (18 years, six months at the 1993 tournament) was younger.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 27
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)