Apr 23, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray, the second overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, skated with teammates on Tuesday for the first time since undergoing shoulder surgery.
“To get out there and do some drills with the NHL guys, that was a great step for me,” Murray told BlueJackets.com. “It’s good to get out with them, for sure.
“Before today it was just me skating by myself, so it was nice to be on the ice and interact with them.”
Murray hurt his shoulder while playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16, trying to break his fall after taking a hit. A decision was made in January for him to undergo corrective surgery, with an estimated timetable for return of six months.
Prior to the injury, the 19-year-old was considered a strong contender to make the Columbus roster. He had 17 points through 23 games with the Silvertips and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
Last spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 IIHF World Championships, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
As a result, Murray became the second-youngest player to ever represent Team Canada at the Worlds. Only Paul Kariya (18 years, six months at the 1993 tournament) was younger.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)