Apr 23, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Blue Jackets defenseman Ryan Murray, the second overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, skated with teammates on Tuesday for the first time since undergoing shoulder surgery.
“To get out there and do some drills with the NHL guys, that was a great step for me,” Murray told BlueJackets.com. “It’s good to get out with them, for sure.
“Before today it was just me skating by myself, so it was nice to be on the ice and interact with them.”
Murray hurt his shoulder while playing for WHL Everett on Nov. 16, trying to break his fall after taking a hit. A decision was made in January for him to undergo corrective surgery, with an estimated timetable for return of six months.
Prior to the injury, the 19-year-old was considered a strong contender to make the Columbus roster. He had 17 points through 23 games with the Silvertips and captained the WHL squad versus Russia in the Subway Super Series.
Last spring, Murray — then just 18 years old — was the youngest player on Team Canada at the 2012 IIHF World Championships, averaging nearly eight minutes a game and finishing the tournament plus-1 while playing with the likes of Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf and Jay Bouwmeester.
As a result, Murray became the second-youngest player to ever represent Team Canada at the Worlds. Only Paul Kariya (18 years, six months at the 1993 tournament) was younger.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)