Apr 23, 2013, 1:37 AM EDT
Early in Monday’s game, Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil attempted to challenge Pittsburgh Penguins agitator Matt Cooke to a fight to avenge Erik Karlsson‘s seemingly accidental (or was it?) injury, but Cooke declined.
Perhaps it was because Cooke had his fill of confrontations after a strange exchange with Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun.
Here’s how that uncomfortable conversation played out, at least according to Brennan’s column:
Cooke must have read the Ottawa Sun on his way to the rink because something in it clearly had him rattled. And I’m still not sure which part.
After listening to Cooke answer questions about the Feb. 13 incident in which his skate sliced 70% of the way through Erik Karlsson’s Achilles tendon, I went to speak with other players in the room about different matters. Like every other reporter there. On the way out, I found Cooke waiting to have a word in private with me.
He wanted to tell me I have no balls. At first I think he said “small balls.” But by the time he had finished, and knew Penguins GM Ray Shero was listening, he had decided I had none. Oh, and I believe he also mumbled something about me having no penis before disappearing into the players-only room, which I found interesting.
Later in the piece, Brennan uses the following line to slam Cooke for his perceived unwillingness to “answer the bell.”
Maybe he should grow a set of his own before worrying about mine.
The natural question is: did an urge to get revenge distract a Senators team that had a lot more on the line than the Penguins, who beat Ottawa 3-1? Senators players told NHL.com that wasn’t the case.
“I don’t think we were too preoccupied,” Kyle Turris said. “Everyone knew what was going on beforehand and we just had to go out and play our game. We didn’t do that.”
Regardless, it’s easy to tell that the Senators believed that the 34-year-old pest disregarded “the code.”
“Media and fans ask us about it every day,” Zack Smith said. “There’s not much you can do. [Cooke] is not going to go out there and be accountable for what he did. So we tried to put that behind us as best we could.”
After the game, Cooke expressed relief in finally getting the game “out of the way.” It doesn’t seem like the Senators are totally satisfied, however.
Related: Mike Milbury calls Cooke a “skunk.”
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)