Apr 23, 2013, 1:37 AM EST
Early in Monday’s game, Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil attempted to challenge Pittsburgh Penguins agitator Matt Cooke to a fight to avenge Erik Karlsson‘s seemingly accidental (or was it?) injury, but Cooke declined.
Perhaps it was because Cooke had his fill of confrontations after a strange exchange with Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun.
Here’s how that uncomfortable conversation played out, at least according to Brennan’s column:
Cooke must have read the Ottawa Sun on his way to the rink because something in it clearly had him rattled. And I’m still not sure which part.
After listening to Cooke answer questions about the Feb. 13 incident in which his skate sliced 70% of the way through Erik Karlsson’s Achilles tendon, I went to speak with other players in the room about different matters. Like every other reporter there. On the way out, I found Cooke waiting to have a word in private with me.
He wanted to tell me I have no balls. At first I think he said “small balls.” But by the time he had finished, and knew Penguins GM Ray Shero was listening, he had decided I had none. Oh, and I believe he also mumbled something about me having no penis before disappearing into the players-only room, which I found interesting.
Later in the piece, Brennan uses the following line to slam Cooke for his perceived unwillingness to “answer the bell.”
Maybe he should grow a set of his own before worrying about mine.
The natural question is: did an urge to get revenge distract a Senators team that had a lot more on the line than the Penguins, who beat Ottawa 3-1? Senators players told NHL.com that wasn’t the case.
“I don’t think we were too preoccupied,” Kyle Turris said. “Everyone knew what was going on beforehand and we just had to go out and play our game. We didn’t do that.”
Regardless, it’s easy to tell that the Senators believed that the 34-year-old pest disregarded “the code.”
“Media and fans ask us about it every day,” Zack Smith said. “There’s not much you can do. [Cooke] is not going to go out there and be accountable for what he did. So we tried to put that behind us as best we could.”
After the game, Cooke expressed relief in finally getting the game “out of the way.” It doesn’t seem like the Senators are totally satisfied, however.
Related: Mike Milbury calls Cooke a “skunk.”
Nov 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Didn’t get a penalty for bumping into the goaltender.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
Scores his eighth of the season.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Was stretchered off the ice Saturday night.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Beauchemin and Perry have already missed games due to the disease this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Had two goals in two AHL games.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Chara placed on long-term injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Paul Maurice irate with the penalty call.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
He’s appeared in 737 consecutive games.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Sunday’s starting goalies.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
He set up Tyler Seguin’s breakaway goal.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Good luck with that.
Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
He shared the evidence and a boatload of hashtags.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
His twin Henrik will play his 1,031st.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
The kind of pass you’d don a mullet wig for.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 AM EST
The Syracuse Crunch and Utica Comets drew more than 30,000 fans.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
L.A. has won only once away from Staples Center this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Edmonton lost 7-1 on home ice. Six straight losses.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)