Apr 23, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Sometimes an event is so surprising that it needs a repeated mention: the Toronto Maple Leafs are officially going to the 2013 playoffs.
Buds GM Dave Nonis decided to celebrate this moment (and thank fans for sticking things out since their last postseason berth in 2004) by sending an open letter to Leafs devotees. Here are a few of the highlights (click this link for the full letter).
“On behalf of the entire Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club, I would like to extend a sincere thank you for your continued loyalty and support.
Leafs fans are the most passionate and dedicated in all of hockey.
Your presence at Air Canada Centre and in our opponent’s rinks does not go unnoticed.
You are valued members of our team.”
One almost expected a group hug to follow that letter.
Certain aspects of playoff positioning are still up for grabs in the East, yet you can’t blame the Maple Leafs for taking a little victory lap here and there.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 10
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 23
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 12
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 55
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39