Apr 23, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Sometimes an event is so surprising that it needs a repeated mention: the Toronto Maple Leafs are officially going to the 2013 playoffs.
Buds GM Dave Nonis decided to celebrate this moment (and thank fans for sticking things out since their last postseason berth in 2004) by sending an open letter to Leafs devotees. Here are a few of the highlights (click this link for the full letter).
“On behalf of the entire Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club, I would like to extend a sincere thank you for your continued loyalty and support.
Leafs fans are the most passionate and dedicated in all of hockey.
Your presence at Air Canada Centre and in our opponent’s rinks does not go unnoticed.
You are valued members of our team.”
One almost expected a group hug to follow that letter.
Certain aspects of playoff positioning are still up for grabs in the East, yet you can’t blame the Maple Leafs for taking a little victory lap here and there.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40