Apr 23, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
Sometimes an event is so surprising that it needs a repeated mention: the Toronto Maple Leafs are officially going to the 2013 playoffs.
Buds GM Dave Nonis decided to celebrate this moment (and thank fans for sticking things out since their last postseason berth in 2004) by sending an open letter to Leafs devotees. Here are a few of the highlights (click this link for the full letter).
“On behalf of the entire Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club, I would like to extend a sincere thank you for your continued loyalty and support.
Leafs fans are the most passionate and dedicated in all of hockey.
Your presence at Air Canada Centre and in our opponent’s rinks does not go unnoticed.
You are valued members of our team.”
One almost expected a group hug to follow that letter.
Certain aspects of playoff positioning are still up for grabs in the East, yet you can’t blame the Maple Leafs for taking a little victory lap here and there.
- Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 10
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 5
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29