Apr 23, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Even if the Boston Bruins end up with a game or two that mean nothing in the standings, 41-year-old Jaromir Jagr still wants to play.
“If I’m healthy I want to play,” said Jagr, per CSNNE.com. “I feel more tired when I rest. I have to play all the time. I have to practice a lot, and I have to play.
“My body is kind of different. I get tired when I have a rest. I would rather play two games. If it was a double-header like in baseball, I would feel the best.
“Too bad there are no doubleheaders in hockey. I’d be the best. I would feel even better in the second game.”
Of course, with four games left in their regular season, the Bruins do have something to play for — first place in the Northeast Division. Boston and Montreal are tied with 59 points, with the B’s having a game in hand.
Boston is the only team in the NHL that’s played just 44 times. Last Monday, the Bruins’ game against the Ottawa Senators was postponed until this coming Sunday because of the Boston Marathon bombings.
What it means is four games in six days (starting tonight in Philadelphia) for a team that’s already been battling fatigue in April.
If Jagr doesn’t need the rest, someone else might.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 2
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)