Apr 23, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Even if the Boston Bruins end up with a game or two that mean nothing in the standings, 41-year-old Jaromir Jagr still wants to play.
“If I’m healthy I want to play,” said Jagr, per CSNNE.com. “I feel more tired when I rest. I have to play all the time. I have to practice a lot, and I have to play.
“My body is kind of different. I get tired when I have a rest. I would rather play two games. If it was a double-header like in baseball, I would feel the best.
“Too bad there are no doubleheaders in hockey. I’d be the best. I would feel even better in the second game.”
Of course, with four games left in their regular season, the Bruins do have something to play for — first place in the Northeast Division. Boston and Montreal are tied with 59 points, with the B’s having a game in hand.
Boston is the only team in the NHL that’s played just 44 times. Last Monday, the Bruins’ game against the Ottawa Senators was postponed until this coming Sunday because of the Boston Marathon bombings.
What it means is four games in six days (starting tonight in Philadelphia) for a team that’s already been battling fatigue in April.
If Jagr doesn’t need the rest, someone else might.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)