Apr 23, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
The way Michel Therrien sees it, the success of the Montreal Canadiens comes down to one thing.
That’s what the Habs head coach suggested prior to Tuesday’s game against the Devils — saying as Price goes, so does his team.
“That’s the most important thing.”
Therrien’s words will likely raise some eyebrows, beacuse Price has been anything but Montreal’s best player lately. His month of April has been especially poor, posting a 3-6-1 record with a 3.75 GAA and .872 save percentage.
Those numbers were the byproduct of two bad losses to Philly (5-3 on Apr. 3, 7-3 on Apr. 15) and a pair of 5-1 losses to Toronto and Washington.
What’s more, Price has been yanked in two of Montreal’s last five games — though to his credit, he hasn’t lost the faith of his teammates.
That’s not to say he hasn’t lost the faith of some fans.
Price was booed/jeered during Saturday’s loss to Washington, which drew the ire of defenseman Josh Gorges.
“I’ve never understood [booing] in your home building,” Gorges told the Montreal Gazette. “The guy’s been standing up for us. He’s been outstanding for us for years. And this isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us.
“I take offence to [the heckling] because he’s a good friend of mine, he’s a teammate and I know his character and his pride.
“He’s out there battling every night to be his best and we let him down.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)