Apr 23, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The way Michel Therrien sees it, the success of the Montreal Canadiens comes down to one thing.
That’s what the Habs head coach suggested prior to Tuesday’s game against the Devils — saying as Price goes, so does his team.
“That’s the most important thing.”
Therrien’s words will likely raise some eyebrows, beacuse Price has been anything but Montreal’s best player lately. His month of April has been especially poor, posting a 3-6-1 record with a 3.75 GAA and .872 save percentage.
Those numbers were the byproduct of two bad losses to Philly (5-3 on Apr. 3, 7-3 on Apr. 15) and a pair of 5-1 losses to Toronto and Washington.
What’s more, Price has been yanked in two of Montreal’s last five games — though to his credit, he hasn’t lost the faith of his teammates.
That’s not to say he hasn’t lost the faith of some fans.
Price was booed/jeered during Saturday’s loss to Washington, which drew the ire of defenseman Josh Gorges.
“I’ve never understood [booing] in your home building,” Gorges told the Montreal Gazette. “The guy’s been standing up for us. He’s been outstanding for us for years. And this isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us.
“I take offence to [the heckling] because he’s a good friend of mine, he’s a teammate and I know his character and his pride.
“He’s out there battling every night to be his best and we let him down.”
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)