Apr 23, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
The way Michel Therrien sees it, the success of the Montreal Canadiens comes down to one thing.
That’s what the Habs head coach suggested prior to Tuesday’s game against the Devils — saying as Price goes, so does his team.
“That’s the most important thing.”
Therrien’s words will likely raise some eyebrows, beacuse Price has been anything but Montreal’s best player lately. His month of April has been especially poor, posting a 3-6-1 record with a 3.75 GAA and .872 save percentage.
Those numbers were the byproduct of two bad losses to Philly (5-3 on Apr. 3, 7-3 on Apr. 15) and a pair of 5-1 losses to Toronto and Washington.
What’s more, Price has been yanked in two of Montreal’s last five games — though to his credit, he hasn’t lost the faith of his teammates.
That’s not to say he hasn’t lost the faith of some fans.
Price was booed/jeered during Saturday’s loss to Washington, which drew the ire of defenseman Josh Gorges.
“I’ve never understood [booing] in your home building,” Gorges told the Montreal Gazette. “The guy’s been standing up for us. He’s been outstanding for us for years. And this isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us.
“I take offence to [the heckling] because he’s a good friend of mine, he’s a teammate and I know his character and his pride.
“He’s out there battling every night to be his best and we let him down.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)