Apr 23, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
The way Michel Therrien sees it, the success of the Montreal Canadiens comes down to one thing.
That’s what the Habs head coach suggested prior to Tuesday’s game against the Devils — saying as Price goes, so does his team.
“That’s the most important thing.”
Therrien’s words will likely raise some eyebrows, beacuse Price has been anything but Montreal’s best player lately. His month of April has been especially poor, posting a 3-6-1 record with a 3.75 GAA and .872 save percentage.
Those numbers were the byproduct of two bad losses to Philly (5-3 on Apr. 3, 7-3 on Apr. 15) and a pair of 5-1 losses to Toronto and Washington.
What’s more, Price has been yanked in two of Montreal’s last five games — though to his credit, he hasn’t lost the faith of his teammates.
That’s not to say he hasn’t lost the faith of some fans.
Price was booed/jeered during Saturday’s loss to Washington, which drew the ire of defenseman Josh Gorges.
“I’ve never understood [booing] in your home building,” Gorges told the Montreal Gazette. “The guy’s been standing up for us. He’s been outstanding for us for years. And this isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us.
“I take offence to [the heckling] because he’s a good friend of mine, he’s a teammate and I know his character and his pride.
“He’s out there battling every night to be his best and we let him down.”
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 51
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 11
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 40
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)