Apr 23, 2013, 12:41 AM EST
To put it mildly, Monday night was a great evening for the Vancouver Canucks.
Most importantly, they clinched their fifth consecutive Northwest Division title. While more than a few Canucks fans probably feel wistful because this signifies the end of an era in which the team gets to beat up on frequently hapless foes, the bright side is that it locks them into the West’s third seed.
If that’s not invigorating enough, the Canucks clinched the division by beating perhaps their most hated rivals in the Chicago Blackhawks by a score of 3-1.
Daniel Sedin played a big role in that victory and moved himself into second all-time in franchise point scoring in the process. A familiar face is staring down at him, too:
Canucks top scorers
Henrik Sedin: 791 points
Daniel Sedin: 758 points
Markus Naslund: 756 points
Trevor Linden: 733 points
Before you look at that list and declare Henrik the unanimously superior twin, do note that Daniel (aka “The Shooting Sedin”) has played in 33 fewer games. (Fanatics can also squabble over the notion that it’s a little tougher to pile up points when you’re the one more likely to score goals than assists, even if both are excellent passers.)
Anyway, with the West hierarchy set, Canucks fans now set their sights on whichever team will take the conference’s sixth spot. At the moment, that would be the St. Louis Blues.
Other clinching news: Anaheim takes the Pacific
Mar 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
Busy day for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:06 PM EST
Speedy winger was rumored to be a trade deadline target.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 PM EST
Kids. They do the darndest things.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 PM EST
Has only been to the playoffs once in his career.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
New York gets Mark Louis in the deal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:23 PM EST
It’s the veteran’s third team this season.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
Couple of minor-league forwards switch clubs.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:49 PM EST
Buffalo also gets a third-round pick in 2016.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:44 PM EST
Doug Wilson, making deals.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:41 PM EST
San Jose gets a conditional 2015 or 2016 draft pick in return.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EST
Jim Rutherford and Doug Armstrong orchestrate another.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
Yes, he shoots right.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
Western Conference foes flip forwards.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:32 PM EST
The goaltender led the Sens to three straight wins.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:10 PM EST
Don Maloney’s a busy man.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
Couple of potential scenarios being reported.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Veteran blueliner is currently sidelined with a concussion, however.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:51 AM EST
Fifth-round pick goes to Buffalo.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:11 AM EST
“He’s a player we kind of looked at for a while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
All the latest leading up to 3 p.m. ET…
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 58
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)