Apr 23, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
To put it mildly, Monday night was a great evening for the Vancouver Canucks.
Most importantly, they clinched their fifth consecutive Northwest Division title. While more than a few Canucks fans probably feel wistful because this signifies the end of an era in which the team gets to beat up on frequently hapless foes, the bright side is that it locks them into the West’s third seed.
If that’s not invigorating enough, the Canucks clinched the division by beating perhaps their most hated rivals in the Chicago Blackhawks by a score of 3-1.
Daniel Sedin played a big role in that victory and moved himself into second all-time in franchise point scoring in the process. A familiar face is staring down at him, too:
Canucks top scorers
Henrik Sedin: 791 points
Daniel Sedin: 758 points
Markus Naslund: 756 points
Trevor Linden: 733 points
Before you look at that list and declare Henrik the unanimously superior twin, do note that Daniel (aka “The Shooting Sedin”) has played in 33 fewer games. (Fanatics can also squabble over the notion that it’s a little tougher to pile up points when you’re the one more likely to score goals than assists, even if both are excellent passers.)
Anyway, with the West hierarchy set, Canucks fans now set their sights on whichever team will take the conference’s sixth spot. At the moment, that would be the St. Louis Blues.
Other clinching news: Anaheim takes the Pacific
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)