Apr 23, 2013, 12:41 AM EDT
To put it mildly, Monday night was a great evening for the Vancouver Canucks.
Most importantly, they clinched their fifth consecutive Northwest Division title. While more than a few Canucks fans probably feel wistful because this signifies the end of an era in which the team gets to beat up on frequently hapless foes, the bright side is that it locks them into the West’s third seed.
If that’s not invigorating enough, the Canucks clinched the division by beating perhaps their most hated rivals in the Chicago Blackhawks by a score of 3-1.
Daniel Sedin played a big role in that victory and moved himself into second all-time in franchise point scoring in the process. A familiar face is staring down at him, too:
Canucks top scorers
Henrik Sedin: 791 points
Daniel Sedin: 758 points
Markus Naslund: 756 points
Trevor Linden: 733 points
Before you look at that list and declare Henrik the unanimously superior twin, do note that Daniel (aka “The Shooting Sedin”) has played in 33 fewer games. (Fanatics can also squabble over the notion that it’s a little tougher to pile up points when you’re the one more likely to score goals than assists, even if both are excellent passers.)
Anyway, with the West hierarchy set, Canucks fans now set their sights on whichever team will take the conference’s sixth spot. At the moment, that would be the St. Louis Blues.
Other clinching news: Anaheim takes the Pacific
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)