Apr 23, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have had a little trouble shaking off the Colorado Avalanche lately, but they took care of them 3-1 on Tuesday, clinching a spot in the 2013 playoffs in the process.
Depending upon how the San Jose Sharks fare against the Dallas Stars tonight, the Blues might also hold onto the fifth spot in the West. If that happens, they’d get a chance to avenge last year’s semifinals loss to the Los Angeles Kings. If not, they’d face the prospect of a series against the Vancouver Canucks.
That playoff seeding business will sort itself out as the week winds down, but the Blues can breathe easy that they didn’t fall out of the mix after their breakthrough 2011-12 campaign.
It’s been a turbulent 48-game season with injuries and a three-headed monster in net, but St. Louis could serve as an upset threat in the 2013 postseason.
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 16
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 42
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 15
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)