Apr 23, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have had a little trouble shaking off the Colorado Avalanche lately, but they took care of them 3-1 on Tuesday, clinching a spot in the 2013 playoffs in the process.
Depending upon how the San Jose Sharks fare against the Dallas Stars tonight, the Blues might also hold onto the fifth spot in the West. If that happens, they’d get a chance to avenge last year’s semifinals loss to the Los Angeles Kings. If not, they’d face the prospect of a series against the Vancouver Canucks.
That playoff seeding business will sort itself out as the week winds down, but the Blues can breathe easy that they didn’t fall out of the mix after their breakthrough 2011-12 campaign.
It’s been a turbulent 48-game season with injuries and a three-headed monster in net, but St. Louis could serve as an upset threat in the 2013 postseason.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)