Apr 22, 2013, 9:04 AM EST
The Wild would probably rather forget Sunday’s 4-1 loss to the Calgary Flames, but the one goal Minnesota scored was impressive.
Charlie Coyle and Mikko Koivu did an impressive job of setting things up for Zach Parise, who found himself in a one-on-one situation with Flames goaltender Joey MacDonald. Parise outmaneuvered MacDonald to score his 17th goal of the season:
If we can take a step back from Minnesota’s recent struggles and look at the season as a whole, it’s easy to argue that Zach Parise is a big part of the reason that they’re even in a position to potentially make the playoffs.
The 28-year-old forward leads the team in goals and with 36 points. He’s also meshed well with Mikko Koivu, who has shared a point with Parise on 24 occasions this season.
Parise’s latest goal came on the same day that the New Jersey Devils were officially eliminated from the playoff race. Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur cited the loss of Parise over the summer as one of the main reasons the Devils have gone from the Eastern Conference champions to a team that fell short of the postseason in the span of just one season.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)