Apr 22, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
The Wild would probably rather forget Sunday’s 4-1 loss to the Calgary Flames, but the one goal Minnesota scored was impressive.
Charlie Coyle and Mikko Koivu did an impressive job of setting things up for Zach Parise, who found himself in a one-on-one situation with Flames goaltender Joey MacDonald. Parise outmaneuvered MacDonald to score his 17th goal of the season:
If we can take a step back from Minnesota’s recent struggles and look at the season as a whole, it’s easy to argue that Zach Parise is a big part of the reason that they’re even in a position to potentially make the playoffs.
The 28-year-old forward leads the team in goals and with 36 points. He’s also meshed well with Mikko Koivu, who has shared a point with Parise on 24 occasions this season.
Parise’s latest goal came on the same day that the New Jersey Devils were officially eliminated from the playoff race. Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur cited the loss of Parise over the summer as one of the main reasons the Devils have gone from the Eastern Conference champions to a team that fell short of the postseason in the span of just one season.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)