Apr 22, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been one of the 2013 season’s surprise successes, but things have slowed down lately (culminating in a four-game losing streak). Things have gotten bad enough that home fans even started booing Carey Price, enraging Josh Gorges in the process.
Habs bench boss Michel Therrien isn’t exactly known for his gentle touch, so his team might have expected a bag skate or at least a harrowing yell session on Monday. Instead, he focused on defensive fundamentals in practice, as players told CTV.
“I didn’t know there weren’t going to be any pucks on the ice. We were all a little nervous,” P.K. Subban said. “I think today was just about us getting better, it wasn’t a punishment. It was just about getting back to the things that made us successful.”
Players who spent time in the AHL have been successful with the team this season, particularly Brendan Gallagher.
With the Hamilton Bulldogs’ season over, the Montreal decided to recall eight AHL players: goalies Robert Mayer and Dustin Tokarski, forwards Michael Bournival, Louis Leblanc and Pettri Nokelainen along with defensemen Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi and Greg Pateryn. They’ll get prepped with the Bulldogs coaching staff until April 28, when they’ll be available for postseason play.
Canadiens blog Habs on the Prize provides some additional context:
The call up for Leblanc is likely a breath of fresh air, as the 22 year old forward has been struggling in Hamilton all season, and could use a fresh start.
The most confusing choice though, is the call up of Nokelainen. Not only is Nokelainen not useful in an NHL role, but he was brought up over Danny Kristo, who’s certainly more of an impact player in every respect.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)