Apr 22, 2013, 1:11 AM EST
This has been a strange season for New Jersey Devils 2012 first-round pick Stefan Matteau, but this weekend might have presented his oddest moment.
Matteau left his junior hockey team Blainville-Boisbriand Armada during the QMJHL playoffs, according to RDS’ Stephane Leroux.
Nate Sager of Yahoo’s Buzzing the Net sets the scene:
New Jersey Devils first-round pick Stefan Matteau’s turbulent season, which has included being suspended by the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada for rough play, missing out on Team USA’s world junior championship triumph and making his NHL debut at age 18, has taken a rather volatile twist. Details are slowly being filled in, but Stéphane Leroux (@StephRDSJunior) of Réseau des sports (RDS) is reporting that Matteau has quit the Armada, who are down 2-0 in to Baie-Comeau in a QMJHL semifinal series. It’s understandable that a 19-year-old could have trouble working through frustration, but he has created a spectacle.
Sager passes along reports that Matteau, 19, reacted to a third period benching on Saturday by not even riding in the team’s bus. That could make for an uncomfortable situation since his father (and former NHL player) Stéphane Matteau is one of the team’s assistant coaches.
Sounds like a mess, huh? The QMJHL team is expected to hold a press conference regarding this story at 9:30 a.m. ET, so perhaps we’ll receive some clarification regarding what has (or hasn’t) happened.
The Devils haven’t made a comment at this time. Click here for more details.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)