Apr 22, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Like the Winnipeg Jets in the East, Monday’s win doesn’t propel the Detroit Red Wings into the West’s top eight. It just makes things a lot more manageable.
Detroit beat the Phoenix Coyotes 4-0 tonight to push their points total to 50, just one behind the eighth place Columbus Blue Jackets. Here’s how the bubble looks now:
7. Minnesota – 51 points with three games left (20 regulation/OT wins)
8. Columbus – 51 points with two games left (17 ROW)
9. Detroit – 50 points with three games left (19 ROW)
10. Dallas – 48 points with three games left (20 ROW)
11. Phoenix – 46 points with three games left (15 ROW)
As you can see, this regulation loss doesn’t officially eliminate the Coyotes from the postseason, but it downgrades their shaky odds to a legitimate long shot. (They’d max out at 54 points and just 18 ROW if they won their final three without going to a shootout).
Detroit has a solid chance to leap the Blue Jackets and possibly even the Wild. In the case of Columbus, the Red Wings could hit 56 points if they win their remaining games while CBJ would max out at 55. (Naturally, things would get complicated if losses pile up in various forms.)
Here are the Red Wings remaining three contests:
Wednesday: home vs. Los Angeles
Thursday: home vs. Nashville
Saturday: at Dallas
In other words, you can roll out that classic stretch run cliche: they “control their own destiny.”
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)