Apr 22, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
To boil everything down to a simple statement, Monday went about as well as it could for Pittsburgh … and just about the opposite for Ottawa.
The Penguins won 3-1, rattling off the following accomplishments:
- Their seventh win in a row.
- They swept the season series against the Sens.
- Dan Bylsma became the fastest NHL head coach to 200 wins (all with Pittsburgh) while Tomas Vokoun earned his 300th career win.
- Matt Cooke left with all his limbs and vital organs intact. Heck, he even got an assist for his troubles.
If that set of bullet points isn’t frustrating enough for Ottawa, chew on this: the Senators are now very much in danger of losing the playoff spot they’ve pluckily fought for. While the odds still seem like they’re on their side, you can probably see that things look a lot shakier now:
6. NY Islanders – 53 points with three games left (20 regulation/overtime wins)
7. NY Rangers – 52 points with three games left (20 ROW)
8. Ottawa – 52 points with three games left (19 ROW)
9. Winnipeg – 51 points with two games left (22 ROW)
Southeast-leading Washington: 52 points with three games left (22 ROW)
Before moving on to the Senators’ schedule, it’s relevant to note that Ottawa fans are going to be crossing their fingers/toes/pets’ paws that Tuesday’s Jets-Capitals game ends in regulation.
With that note out of the way, here’s Ottawa’s outlook:
Thursday: at Washington
Saturday: home vs. Philadelphia
Sunday: at Boston
At this rate, the Senators might just be the Penguins’ opponent to open the playoffs … assuming they make it.
May 30, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Jeff Blashill (pictured) is the front runner for the job.
May 30, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He will be an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 30, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
The search for his replacement continues.
May 30, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Fleischmann draws in for Etem.
May 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
For the first time in his career the 27-year-old is about to hit the open market.
May 30, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’ll be eligible to re-enter next month’s NHL Draft.
May 30, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
He met with doctors in Buffalo on Thursday.
May 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He is currently an assistant coach in Nashville.
May 30, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Hard to blame the goalie in this one.
May 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
“I don’t know if we’re so young and dumb and don’t know any better…”
May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Might explain what occurred in the first period.
May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Tampa Bay awaits the winner of the Blackhawks-Ducks series.
May 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Is it enough?
May 29, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Game 7 goes Saturday.
May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
Something to keep an eye on.
May 29, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Rangers also make one change to the lineup.
May 29, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The winner, as you know, goes to the Stanley Cup Final.
May 29, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
“I’ve met with Nick several times and he knows he made a terrible mistake.”
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
And it looks like Tomas Fleischmann might replace Emerson Etem, again.
May 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
People like ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 20
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)