Apr 22, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
To boil everything down to a simple statement, Monday went about as well as it could for Pittsburgh … and just about the opposite for Ottawa.
The Penguins won 3-1, rattling off the following accomplishments:
- Their seventh win in a row.
- They swept the season series against the Sens.
- Dan Bylsma became the fastest NHL head coach to 200 wins (all with Pittsburgh) while Tomas Vokoun earned his 300th career win.
- Matt Cooke left with all his limbs and vital organs intact. Heck, he even got an assist for his troubles.
If that set of bullet points isn’t frustrating enough for Ottawa, chew on this: the Senators are now very much in danger of losing the playoff spot they’ve pluckily fought for. While the odds still seem like they’re on their side, you can probably see that things look a lot shakier now:
6. NY Islanders – 53 points with three games left (20 regulation/overtime wins)
7. NY Rangers – 52 points with three games left (20 ROW)
8. Ottawa – 52 points with three games left (19 ROW)
9. Winnipeg – 51 points with two games left (22 ROW)
Southeast-leading Washington: 52 points with three games left (22 ROW)
Before moving on to the Senators’ schedule, it’s relevant to note that Ottawa fans are going to be crossing their fingers/toes/pets’ paws that Tuesday’s Jets-Capitals game ends in regulation.
With that note out of the way, here’s Ottawa’s outlook:
Thursday: at Washington
Saturday: home vs. Philadelphia
Sunday: at Boston
At this rate, the Senators might just be the Penguins’ opponent to open the playoffs … assuming they make it.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)