Apr 22, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
To boil everything down to a simple statement, Monday went about as well as it could for Pittsburgh … and just about the opposite for Ottawa.
The Penguins won 3-1, rattling off the following accomplishments:
- Their seventh win in a row.
- They swept the season series against the Sens.
- Dan Bylsma became the fastest NHL head coach to 200 wins (all with Pittsburgh) while Tomas Vokoun earned his 300th career win.
- Matt Cooke left with all his limbs and vital organs intact. Heck, he even got an assist for his troubles.
If that set of bullet points isn’t frustrating enough for Ottawa, chew on this: the Senators are now very much in danger of losing the playoff spot they’ve pluckily fought for. While the odds still seem like they’re on their side, you can probably see that things look a lot shakier now:
6. NY Islanders – 53 points with three games left (20 regulation/overtime wins)
7. NY Rangers – 52 points with three games left (20 ROW)
8. Ottawa – 52 points with three games left (19 ROW)
9. Winnipeg – 51 points with two games left (22 ROW)
Southeast-leading Washington: 52 points with three games left (22 ROW)
Before moving on to the Senators’ schedule, it’s relevant to note that Ottawa fans are going to be crossing their fingers/toes/pets’ paws that Tuesday’s Jets-Capitals game ends in regulation.
With that note out of the way, here’s Ottawa’s outlook:
Thursday: at Washington
Saturday: home vs. Philadelphia
Sunday: at Boston
At this rate, the Senators might just be the Penguins’ opponent to open the playoffs … assuming they make it.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Team Foligno running away with this.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 PM EST
That’s an all-time screencap right there.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Team Foligno sweeps first competition.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
Johnny Hockey gets the nod.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Has gone from forward to defense, back to forward and back to defense.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
He’s ranked fourth in Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:23 PM EST
Bragging rights on the line.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:21 PM EST
And what will the team look like?
Jan 24, 2015, 4:55 PM EST
It’s expected to be around $71.6 million to $72.2 million for the 2015-16 season.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:09 PM EST
Slovenia’s (and Los Angeles’) Anze Kopitar figures to play a prominent role.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:02 PM EST
Will fans care? Is it fair?
Jan 24, 2015, 2:34 PM EST
“People are intrigued by this. There are going to be great storylines.”
Jan 24, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
Gillette Stadium, TCF Bank Stadium and Coors Field will play hosts
Jan 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
It all gets going at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:46 PM EST
“Again, I’ll repeat that for this team to be even remotely close to missing the playoffs isn’t something we can be happy about.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)