Apr 22, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs will participate in the postseason in 2013, which means that the Edmonton Oilers now have the longest active playoff drought.
The Oilers have lost seven of their last eight contests, including Sunday’s 3-1 defeat to Anaheim, and have been officially eliminated from playoff contention.
“We made it really tough on ourselves losing three straight games on that road trip, and to have another season where we’re out of the playoffs, where we’re playing meaningless games at the end of the year, is very frustrating,” Taylor Hall told the Edmonton Journal. “It’s something we’re not proud of.”
The Oilers have been stockpiling young skilled forwards for a while and they were hoping to move their rebuilding process to the next phase this season. Instead Oilers fans will once again be looking towards the lottery to see who else can be added to their talented core.
MacTavish is expected to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion,” so this could be an eventful summer for the Oilers.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)