Apr 22, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs will participate in the postseason in 2013, which means that the Edmonton Oilers now have the longest active playoff drought.
The Oilers have lost seven of their last eight contests, including Sunday’s 3-1 defeat to Anaheim, and have been officially eliminated from playoff contention.
“We made it really tough on ourselves losing three straight games on that road trip, and to have another season where we’re out of the playoffs, where we’re playing meaningless games at the end of the year, is very frustrating,” Taylor Hall told the Edmonton Journal. “It’s something we’re not proud of.”
The Oilers have been stockpiling young skilled forwards for a while and they were hoping to move their rebuilding process to the next phase this season. Instead Oilers fans will once again be looking towards the lottery to see who else can be added to their talented core.
MacTavish is expected to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion,” so this could be an eventful summer for the Oilers.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)