Apr 22, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs will participate in the postseason in 2013, which means that the Edmonton Oilers now have the longest active playoff drought.
The Oilers have lost seven of their last eight contests, including Sunday’s 3-1 defeat to Anaheim, and have been officially eliminated from playoff contention.
“We made it really tough on ourselves losing three straight games on that road trip, and to have another season where we’re out of the playoffs, where we’re playing meaningless games at the end of the year, is very frustrating,” Taylor Hall told the Edmonton Journal. “It’s something we’re not proud of.”
The Oilers have been stockpiling young skilled forwards for a while and they were hoping to move their rebuilding process to the next phase this season. Instead Oilers fans will once again be looking towards the lottery to see who else can be added to their talented core.
MacTavish is expected to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion,” so this could be an eventful summer for the Oilers.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)