Apr 22, 2013, 9:54 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs will participate in the postseason in 2013, which means that the Edmonton Oilers now have the longest active playoff drought.
The Oilers have lost seven of their last eight contests, including Sunday’s 3-1 defeat to Anaheim, and have been officially eliminated from playoff contention.
“We made it really tough on ourselves losing three straight games on that road trip, and to have another season where we’re out of the playoffs, where we’re playing meaningless games at the end of the year, is very frustrating,” Taylor Hall told the Edmonton Journal. “It’s something we’re not proud of.”
The Oilers have been stockpiling young skilled forwards for a while and they were hoping to move their rebuilding process to the next phase this season. Instead Oilers fans will once again be looking towards the lottery to see who else can be added to their talented core.
MacTavish is expected to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion,” so this could be an eventful summer for the Oilers.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 145
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (146)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)