Apr 22, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
It doesn’t look as though Erik Karlsson will suit up on Monday in a huge game for Ottawa’s playoff chances.
And, depending on who you talk to, an equally huge chance at revenge.
Tonight’s game will mark the first time the Sens and Pens have played since Cooke sliced Karlsson’s Achilles with his skate, an incident that essentially wiped out the defenseman’s season and put Cooke on Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk’s “most wanted” list.
There might be outrage emanating from the owner’s suite but, on the ice, the Senators seem less hell-bent on revenge.
Tied on points with the eighth-place Rangers (52), Ottawa needs to focus on wins, rather than getting even.
“When it comes to it, it will come to it. We haven’t thought much about that,” forward Zack Smith told the Ottawa Sun about getting revenge on Cooke. “It will be the first matchup since the incident, but at the same time, we’re trying to make the playoffs.
“I don’t think we need that to be a distraction.”
As for the other half of the equation — Karlsson — it sounds as though he’s unlikely to go tonight. Several reporters at the morning skate report the reigning Norris winner is participating, but didn’t take part in all the drills.
Bruce Garrioch of The Sun also notes there didn’t appear to be any changes on Ottawa’s defense pairs, meaning Karlsson would likely be a scratch.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 6
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)