Apr 22, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
It doesn’t look as though Erik Karlsson will suit up on Monday in a huge game for Ottawa’s playoff chances.
And, depending on who you talk to, an equally huge chance at revenge.
Tonight’s game will mark the first time the Sens and Pens have played since Cooke sliced Karlsson’s Achilles with his skate, an incident that essentially wiped out the defenseman’s season and put Cooke on Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk’s “most wanted” list.
There might be outrage emanating from the owner’s suite but, on the ice, the Senators seem less hell-bent on revenge.
Tied on points with the eighth-place Rangers (52), Ottawa needs to focus on wins, rather than getting even.
“When it comes to it, it will come to it. We haven’t thought much about that,” forward Zack Smith told the Ottawa Sun about getting revenge on Cooke. “It will be the first matchup since the incident, but at the same time, we’re trying to make the playoffs.
“I don’t think we need that to be a distraction.”
As for the other half of the equation — Karlsson — it sounds as though he’s unlikely to go tonight. Several reporters at the morning skate report the reigning Norris winner is participating, but didn’t take part in all the drills.
Bruce Garrioch of The Sun also notes there didn’t appear to be any changes on Ottawa’s defense pairs, meaning Karlsson would likely be a scratch.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)