Apr 22, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
Zach Redmond‘s incredible recovery is near complete.
The 24-year-old defenseman, who was thought to be lost for the season after suffering a lacerated femoral artery in February, has been recalled by the Jets from AHL St. John’s after a conditioning assignment.
Redmond appeared in two games over the weekend for the IceCaps, registering two assists while recording six shots on goal.
Should he get into the Winnipeg lineup prior to the end of the year — the Jets have three games left — it’ll mark one of the greatest in-season comebacks ever.
Redmond was seemingly lost for the year on Feb. 21 when teammate Antti Miettinen skated over his leg during a pregame skate in Carolina.
The former Ferris State standout lost two pints of blood after his artery was sliced, an injury that left his chances of a return to pro hockey at 50-50, according to Jets team physician Dr. Peter McDonald.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” McDonald said. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
At the time of the incident, Jets head athletic therapist said Redmond’s laceration was “easily the most grave incident” he’s been a part of during his 12-year career.
Judging by this photo of Redmond’s leg, you can see why:
Prior to getting hurt, Redmond was enjoying a successful rookie campaign, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS in eight games while averaging 19:35 time on ice per contest.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 4
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39