Apr 22, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
Zach Redmond‘s incredible recovery is near complete.
The 24-year-old defenseman, who was thought to be lost for the season after suffering a lacerated femoral artery in February, has been recalled by the Jets from AHL St. John’s after a conditioning assignment.
Redmond appeared in two games over the weekend for the IceCaps, registering two assists while recording six shots on goal.
Should he get into the Winnipeg lineup prior to the end of the year — the Jets have three games left — it’ll mark one of the greatest in-season comebacks ever.
Redmond was seemingly lost for the year on Feb. 21 when teammate Antti Miettinen skated over his leg during a pregame skate in Carolina.
The former Ferris State standout lost two pints of blood after his artery was sliced, an injury that left his chances of a return to pro hockey at 50-50, according to Jets team physician Dr. Peter McDonald.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” McDonald said. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
At the time of the incident, Jets head athletic therapist said Redmond’s laceration was “easily the most grave incident” he’s been a part of during his 12-year career.
Judging by this photo of Redmond’s leg, you can see why:
Prior to getting hurt, Redmond was enjoying a successful rookie campaign, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS in eight games while averaging 19:35 time on ice per contest.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)