Apr 22, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov is apparently still very much in the Philadelphia Flyers’ future.
Via ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, Flyers general manager Paul Homgren thinks all the buyout talk surrounding the 32-year-old goalie is “out of bounds”.
“No,” replied Holmgren when LeBrun asked if there was any basis to the speculation that the Flyers planned to cut ties with Bryzgalov.
“I think right now with Ilya and Steve [Mason], we’ve got good goaltending moving forward,” said Holmgren. “Any talk of anything other than that I think is out of bounds.”
Bryzgalov is 18-17-3 with a modest .898 save percentage.
A buyout of his contract this summer would cost the Flyers $23 million over 14 years; however, there would be no cap consequences with the new CBA allowing two compliance buyouts.
The Flyers could always keep a compliance buyout in their back pocket for the following summer, just in case they need to use it on Bryzgalov.
But if Holmgren is playing it straight, it sounds like Bryz will be back next season.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)