Apr 22, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov is apparently still very much in the Philadelphia Flyers’ future.
Via ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, Flyers general manager Paul Homgren thinks all the buyout talk surrounding the 32-year-old goalie is “out of bounds”.
“No,” replied Holmgren when LeBrun asked if there was any basis to the speculation that the Flyers planned to cut ties with Bryzgalov.
“I think right now with Ilya and Steve [Mason], we’ve got good goaltending moving forward,” said Holmgren. “Any talk of anything other than that I think is out of bounds.”
Bryzgalov is 18-17-3 with a modest .898 save percentage.
A buyout of his contract this summer would cost the Flyers $23 million over 14 years; however, there would be no cap consequences with the new CBA allowing two compliance buyouts.
The Flyers could always keep a compliance buyout in their back pocket for the following summer, just in case they need to use it on Bryzgalov.
But if Holmgren is playing it straight, it sounds like Bryz will be back next season.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 130
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)