Apr 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the Detroit Red Wings outshot the Calgary Flames, 38-17…but lost 3-2 in regulation.
On Saturday, they outshout the Vancouver Canucks, 34-14…but lost 2-1 in a shootout.
So it’s not all that surprising that Wings head coach Mike Babcock is feeling good about the way his team is playing heading into tonight’s key game versus Phoenix at Joe Louis Arena (on NBCSN).
“I’ve liked a lot of our games of late. I don’t think we’ve played poorly,” Babcock said this morning, per MLive.com. “The last poor game we had was on the trade deadline when we played Phoenix. We had poor effort that night.
“Other than that we’ve played well. And yet we got to find a way to get the second point. We can’t get one point, we got to get two.”
Babcock does admit that the Wings “have to get on the inside more” if they want to put more pucks in the net — especially against a goalie like the Coyotes’ Mike Smith who’s going to stop the easy shots from the perimeter.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 5
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 7
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 15
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 2
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)