Apr 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
On Wednesday, the Detroit Red Wings outshot the Calgary Flames, 38-17…but lost 3-2 in regulation.
On Saturday, they outshout the Vancouver Canucks, 34-14…but lost 2-1 in a shootout.
So it’s not all that surprising that Wings head coach Mike Babcock is feeling good about the way his team is playing heading into tonight’s key game versus Phoenix at Joe Louis Arena (on NBCSN).
“I’ve liked a lot of our games of late. I don’t think we’ve played poorly,” Babcock said this morning, per MLive.com. “The last poor game we had was on the trade deadline when we played Phoenix. We had poor effort that night.
“Other than that we’ve played well. And yet we got to find a way to get the second point. We can’t get one point, we got to get two.”
Babcock does admit that the Wings “have to get on the inside more” if they want to put more pucks in the net — especially against a goalie like the Coyotes’ Mike Smith who’s going to stop the easy shots from the perimeter.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)