Apr 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
On Wednesday, the Detroit Red Wings outshot the Calgary Flames, 38-17…but lost 3-2 in regulation.
On Saturday, they outshout the Vancouver Canucks, 34-14…but lost 2-1 in a shootout.
So it’s not all that surprising that Wings head coach Mike Babcock is feeling good about the way his team is playing heading into tonight’s key game versus Phoenix at Joe Louis Arena (on NBCSN).
“I’ve liked a lot of our games of late. I don’t think we’ve played poorly,” Babcock said this morning, per MLive.com. “The last poor game we had was on the trade deadline when we played Phoenix. We had poor effort that night.
“Other than that we’ve played well. And yet we got to find a way to get the second point. We can’t get one point, we got to get two.”
Babcock does admit that the Wings “have to get on the inside more” if they want to put more pucks in the net — especially against a goalie like the Coyotes’ Mike Smith who’s going to stop the easy shots from the perimeter.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)