Bruins’ Horton (upper body) out after Iginla fight

Apr 22, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT

HortonIggy Getty Images

Boston forward Nathan Horton won’t travel with the team to Philly for Tuesday’s game against the Flyers, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.

Horton, 27, left Saturday’s 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh with what appeared to be a hand injury after fighting Pens forward Jarome Iginla.

Bruins head coach Claude Julien didn’t offer many specifics about Horton’s condition following the game, but did acknowledge the injury occurred during the scrap.

“Obviously the injury came from the fight,” he explained. “I’ll let you guys know whenever the final evaluation is made.”

The Bruins can ill-afford to lose Horton for any period of time.

While he’s had a somewhat inconsistent year, he remains one of the club’s best net-front presences and is third in goals, with 13 — an important figure, as Boston only has four double-digit goalscorers at the moment.

After Tuesday’s game, Boston has three remaining: Thursday against Tampa Bay, Saturday at Washington and Sunday’s home date, the last game of the regular season, against Ottawa.

1. zetaone - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Great picture lol.

• JoeAvg - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Yeah they look like Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots.

• andrewproughcfe - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Na – not Rock ‘em Sock ‘em. Horton has poor fighting posture – slapping and trying to swing his head way back out of the way. Probably wouldn’t have got injured if he had maintained good balance with his shoulders over the balls of his feet, and simply covered up defensively with his non-punching arm rather than trying to jerk his upper body away from contact like that.

Once he began falling, his balance was probably so far gone that he had to throw his hand/wrist into the ice to keep from face-planting and potentially breaking his own nose or jaw.

Remember children – if you are going to fight, balance and breathing are keys to success. Better yet, don’t get into a fist fight, especially if you don’t know what you are doing – the likelihood that you will hurt yourself is very high. The best fighters are those who are so prepared that they don’t even have to fight.

2. hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Obviously the injury happened because he was acting like a goon and got what he deserved. Hate to see injuries, but karma’s a b*tch.

• dentals1 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM

How was he acting like a goon? He checked Iginla, Iginla shoved him in the back and away it went. That’s just hockey and unfortunate that he got hurt.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Did you miss the entirety of the story, the immature backdrop as far as why there was a fight in the first place? Or is this just simplifying what really took place? I’d hate to see that situation made out to be that simple.

• nhbsfan - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM

You might want to rewatch that part of the game. Iginla asked him if he wanted to go and they both took off their helmets…in fact, Horton took his off first. Horton probably got hurt when they both went down and his hand was tied up in Iginla’s jersey.

• steelpenbucs87 - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Generally I don’t find myself disagreeing with a fellow Pens fan, but I’m not exactly sure what you’re referring to here.

I admit that I thought Horton was a little quick to drop the gloves, but I don’t think that’s too out of the ordinary all things considered – Iginla was a bit of a marked man going into that game to be certain.

From what I could surmise I think he got hurt taking a tumble at the end of the “fight”.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

“Iginla was a bit of a marked man going into that game to be certain.”

That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

• steelpenbucs87 - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Right but I don’t think that’s particularly out of the ordinary though – Cookie is going to be a marked man tonight. Generally speaking guys who have shown in the past that they are willing to drop the gloves will get called out to fight (think like Joe Vitale after the Briere hit last year), while guys who don’t generally fight end up just taking some shoves.

I mean don’t get me wrong – Horton is a bit of a neanderthal, but I didn’t find THIS particular issue to be anything too out of the ordinary.

• blackfoot11 - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM

@steelpenbucs87… @hockeywithdrawl did elude to the “immature backdrop” as the impetus for the fight. The “backdrop” being the Bruins were spurned by Ingila at the trade deadline. You are saying the same thing as he did.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

The Cooke situation is way different, period – and it is NOT commonplace for a man to have to answer a STAGED bell because he doesn’t want to play in a town…not sure where you’re getting that. This one is no different than if one of the Pens would have made Jagr fight last year when he went to the Flyers instead of the Pens. And while both players went to it, there’s no way Iginla is fighting for anything more than “ok let’s just get this BS out of the way and play hockey”. It was stupid.

• steelpenbucs87 - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I understand the backdrop – believe me I’m well aware that Iginla chose Pittsburgh over Boston, and generally speaking Boston fans, management, and probably players were ticked about that.

However, I don’t subscribe to the notion that Horton challenging Iginla to a fight was anymore of a “goon” play than any other fight is. You’re making it sound like he had to fight Chara and Seidenberg out there. Horton has got a little weight on him, sure, but they’re not substantially different guys.

I do understand that maybe Vitale and Cooke were bad examples, but fighting for choosing another team is not completely ridiculous. I will say I disagree with the Jagr assertion however because Jagr doesn’t fight – Iggy will.

I just see the word “karma”, and “what goes around comes around” thrown around a lot and I just don’t buy it. There are definitely unwritten rules about fighting, but I don’t think any were broken here.

Agree to disagree I suppose – Let’s Go Pens!

• nunan - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Pretty clear that Iginla challenged him after Horton threw a check. Nothing goonish about it. Yes, he was the center of attention given what happened a few weeks ago. I guess he likes that though because he clearly wanted to go with Horton. Do you label every Bruin a goon? Horton is Cinderella on skates..

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM

“Yes, he was the center of attention given what happened a few weeks ago”….and above your answer, another commenter – “Iginla was a bit of a marked man going into that game to be certain.”

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m talking about. Marking a man for not wanting to play in your town (or making him the “center of attention”…team, and fans alike…sounds goonish to me. Horton got what he deserved for his part in it.

• nunan - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I think you just dislike the Bruins and any comment you type up is going to reflect that. In other words, you don’t have the luxury of being practical about the fight. Nobody on the Bruins said Iginla was a marked man, Iginla chose to challenge Horton and given the past month, Horton easily obliged. But, somehow that to you is the Bruins gooning it up and Horton deserving to be injured? Dislike the Bruins all you want but use some common sense when analyzing a situation. Fights happen in hockey. Just bc the Bruins were involved doesn’t mean they did something wrong. Relax

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Agree to disagree.

• blackfoot11 - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Maybe Ingila felt obliged to fight Horton to silence any talk of him purposefully avoiding confrontation of the team he spurned. I’m sure the Bruins players respect him for not dodging a fight.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Two top 6 forwards agreed to fight, not sure what’s goon about that

3. nhbsfan - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I think your Pen’s bias is showing a bit there. You make it sound like it was a normal trade where he went to the Pens. It’s been pretty well documented the trade was pretty strange and I think it’s quite normal for there to be a reaction to Iginla his first game in Boston with the way the trade went down. Feel free to continue to make it out to be some abnormal thing that would only happen in Boston though…I suspect that you will.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Iginla didn’t rip boston off, and boston has no right to hurt or goonish feelings. Iginla invoked a contractual right to exercise his own choice on where he played. Well earned after the career he’s had. That’s ALL that happened – the only thing strange to boston fans was that they didn’t get their way.

• nhbsfan - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

No one said he did and I think pretty much all the players realize it was his choice and he picked the Pens. However, the fact remains he listed Boston as one of the teams he would accept a trade to, Boston had the strongest offer, and were told by the GM of the Flames the trade was done. A whole day passed with no communication, and then the Bruins find out that he chose the Pens instead at the last minute for a much weaker offer (for the Flames). It seems pretty clear to me that with the way things went down it’s pretty normal for some of the fans to not exactly welcome him.

Are you going to try and tell me that if the situation was reversed where the Pens were told they had him, and then he ended up going to Boston instead for much less of a return for Flames, there would be no storyline the first time the B’s played in Pittsburgh? Really?

It’s ok, I don’t think rational thought is something you are considering here and pretty much just want to push the Boston goons thing…feel free to continue.

• dropthepuckeh - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Do you really think Iginla fought because Boston was pissed off he chose Pitt over Boston? That’s insane. It was a normal hockey fight (barely even a fight) between two guys who drop the gloves from time to time. I don’t think the Bruins could give two sh*ts that Iginla chose Pitt over their team. They seem to respect him as a player and they moved on and are welcoming Jagr.

This was far from goonish behavior, so much so it exposes your ignorance. Iginla is big guy who can fight, as is Horton. Saying its “karma” is ridiculous, Horton has missed so many games with concussions I’d say his karma should be a healthy couple of years.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I do. It does sound pathetic, tell that to the B’s.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Iginla was classless in listing 4 teams he would be traded to and then changing those teams last minute. He has the right but it’s still a dbag move

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Agree to disagree. I can think of 17,565 reasons not to play in Boston.

4. brainoflindros - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Pens first round exit.

• bman7206 - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Second that.

That troll Hockeywithdrawal will be so sad…

• blackfoot11 - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You had to lob that Molotov, didn’t you…

• haterzinc - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Based off of what logic….. Your hatred of the Pittsburgh penguins, the mystery opponent and how well that mystery opponent is playing or karma

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened if only because of the potential line-up issues when everyone is healthy

5. neelymessier - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

If you watch the “fight” closely. Iginla grabbed his hand and used it as leverage to throw him down. That is what injured his hand, not the fall itself.

6. jeff2000m - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Hockeywithdrawal shut ur damn trap already!!!

7. dboldave - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM

So much discussion over what was a terrible “fight”!

• bman7206 - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Playground pushing match at best. Looked like an NBA “fight”.

8. crusty14 - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I think anyone with half a hockey brain would not declare this “fight” as goonish! Horton checked iggy, both players decided to drop ‘em. Unfortunately , Horton got hurt, end of story! No goons, no karma. Basically it comes down to the fact that hockeywithdrawl is a complete and utter fool!

9. letsgopens8771 - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Ah, Iggy’s just the gift that keeps on giving…giving Boston bad luck!

10. ironcity6pak - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Didnt you guys hear what really happened? Horton sprained his finger taking off his helmet, then fell to the ground in pain.

11. ras1tafari - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Back to the old one-and-done Bruins. See-ya later Claude.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches