Apr 22, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and USA Hockey executive director Dave Ogrean are scheduled to join members of Congress for a Congressional Hockey Caucus Briefing on Wednesday in Capitol Hill.
According to the press release, the briefing’s focus will be on “the state of hockey in the U.S., including instructional hockey and safety in youth sports.” More specifically, the briefing will review USA Hockey’s American Developmental Model (ADM).
The meeting also serves as the moment where the first two NHL/Thurgood Marshall College Fund scholarships will be unveiled. Two students who participated in “NHL’s Hockey is for Everyone” shall receive a four-year scholarship to any college or university in the United States. The money for that scholarship was raised by the annual Congressional Hockey Challenge, a charitable event that will continue with the 2013 edition on April 27 at the Verizon Center.
All in all, it sounds like the kind of work that could pay long-term dividends for the sport, whether recipients make it to the big time or not.
Here are the Congress members who will be on hand: Reps. Lee Terry, Pat Meehan, Mike Quigley, Brian Higgins, Erik Paulsen and Larry Bucshon. NBC reporter Luke Russert will be the moderator during the panel discussion.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)