Apr 22, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and USA Hockey executive director Dave Ogrean are scheduled to join members of Congress for a Congressional Hockey Caucus Briefing on Wednesday in Capitol Hill.
According to the press release, the briefing’s focus will be on “the state of hockey in the U.S., including instructional hockey and safety in youth sports.” More specifically, the briefing will review USA Hockey’s American Developmental Model (ADM).
The meeting also serves as the moment where the first two NHL/Thurgood Marshall College Fund scholarships will be unveiled. Two students who participated in “NHL’s Hockey is for Everyone” shall receive a four-year scholarship to any college or university in the United States. The money for that scholarship was raised by the annual Congressional Hockey Challenge, a charitable event that will continue with the 2013 edition on April 27 at the Verizon Center.
All in all, it sounds like the kind of work that could pay long-term dividends for the sport, whether recipients make it to the big time or not.
Here are the Congress members who will be on hand: Reps. Lee Terry, Pat Meehan, Mike Quigley, Brian Higgins, Erik Paulsen and Larry Bucshon. NBC reporter Luke Russert will be the moderator during the panel discussion.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)