Apr 22, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and USA Hockey executive director Dave Ogrean are scheduled to join members of Congress for a Congressional Hockey Caucus Briefing on Wednesday in Capitol Hill.
According to the press release, the briefing’s focus will be on “the state of hockey in the U.S., including instructional hockey and safety in youth sports.” More specifically, the briefing will review USA Hockey’s American Developmental Model (ADM).
The meeting also serves as the moment where the first two NHL/Thurgood Marshall College Fund scholarships will be unveiled. Two students who participated in “NHL’s Hockey is for Everyone” shall receive a four-year scholarship to any college or university in the United States. The money for that scholarship was raised by the annual Congressional Hockey Challenge, a charitable event that will continue with the 2013 edition on April 27 at the Verizon Center.
All in all, it sounds like the kind of work that could pay long-term dividends for the sport, whether recipients make it to the big time or not.
Here are the Congress members who will be on hand: Reps. Lee Terry, Pat Meehan, Mike Quigley, Brian Higgins, Erik Paulsen and Larry Bucshon. NBC reporter Luke Russert will be the moderator during the panel discussion.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)