Apr 22, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and USA Hockey executive director Dave Ogrean are scheduled to join members of Congress for a Congressional Hockey Caucus Briefing on Wednesday in Capitol Hill.
According to the press release, the briefing’s focus will be on “the state of hockey in the U.S., including instructional hockey and safety in youth sports.” More specifically, the briefing will review USA Hockey’s American Developmental Model (ADM).
The meeting also serves as the moment where the first two NHL/Thurgood Marshall College Fund scholarships will be unveiled. Two students who participated in “NHL’s Hockey is for Everyone” shall receive a four-year scholarship to any college or university in the United States. The money for that scholarship was raised by the annual Congressional Hockey Challenge, a charitable event that will continue with the 2013 edition on April 27 at the Verizon Center.
All in all, it sounds like the kind of work that could pay long-term dividends for the sport, whether recipients make it to the big time or not.
Here are the Congress members who will be on hand: Reps. Lee Terry, Pat Meehan, Mike Quigley, Brian Higgins, Erik Paulsen and Larry Bucshon. NBC reporter Luke Russert will be the moderator during the panel discussion.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 3
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 16
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)