Video: Bruins hand jerseys to first responders

Apr 21, 2013, 7:52 PM EST

Normally, Boston Bruins players hand autographed jerseys to season ticket holders after a home game as part of a “Shirt Off Their Backs” promotion. This time around, Bruins fans inspired the team to make another great gesture in wake of the Boston Marathon Tragedies, as players presented those game-used sweaters to first responders following Sunday’s 3-0 win against the Florida Panthers instead:

Here’s a quick gallery of photos from that post-game ceremony, via Getty:

source: Getty Images

source: Getty Images

source: Getty Images

source: Getty Images

The Bruins and fellow teams respond to the tragedy

“Sweet Caroline” at Madison Square Garden

Bruins, Penguins tip their caps to Boston

Doc Emrick’s “Forever Strong” message

B’s honor victims, show support

1. gallyhatch - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Awesome move by the team, organization, and my fellow Bruins season ticket holders. I had no idea about the whole ‘shirt off their back’ or when it was scheduled to take place, but to find out that this was suggested by the fans makes me feel even more pride in my city and fellow Bostonians, which I didn’t think was possible after this past week.

Thank you also to all the people who have written positive comments and words of concern & kindness in the last week. It was scary as hell here this week, but the support of the rest of the nation has been incredible. I’ve never felt like this before. Every moment of silence I’ve seen or read about in the other cities / arenas etc. has brought tears to my eyes, especially in Montreal.

Thank you.

• gallyhatch - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I should have also mentioned Canada, as well as the rest of the world for showing incredible support and love for Boston since Monday. It was not just the rest of America, but the rest of the world. Thank you.

• mcmurphy22 - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Ill throw my sentiment in there too. The Sports world has united us this past week, as those of us in Boston went through some of the toughest times we could have ever imagined. Big thank you to everyone on here and around the world that had kind words and thoughts for Boston all week. From the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it.
        Ryan from Boston.

2. nunan - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Awesome

3. fonz1080 - Apr 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Reblogged this on back bar hockey and commented:
    Really hope that candidates from every team come out with a video for the EA Sports fan vote. This is gold.

4. gramkind - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

stuff like this make it hard for me to hate the bruins. end of the day some really great people there.

5. nhstateline - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM

This was better than the game. I was glad I and so many other folks stayed to watch and cheer.

A special thanks should go to the NHL, the Buffalo Sabres for being so classy here last week and for moving another game, the Ottawa Senators for their thoughts after monday’s events and for rescheduling a game and the Pittsburgh Penguins for what they did before the game saturday, for being gracious about the schedule and for working with the Sabres to reschedule their game so that saturday could take place. The Bruins organization was just great yesterday and during the last week but so were all of these teams and players and all of the fans throughout the NHL.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches