Apr 21, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
It seemed like the Detroit Red Wings, Dallas Stars and Columbus Blue Jackets merely had the West’s eighth seed to fight over in the 2013 season’s last week. When you consider the significant struggles of the seventh-ranked Minnesota Wild, things might get that much more interesting.
Minnesota flopped 4-1 to the lowly Calgary Flames on Sunday, dropping its April record to 3-7-1 in 11 games. It’s also the team’s fifth consecutive loss at home.
Most importantly, this defeat leaves the Wild with precious little breathing room:
7. Minnesota – 51 points with three games left (20 regulation/overtime wins)
8. Columbus – 49 points with three games left (16 ROW)
9. Detroit – 48 points with four games left (18 ROW)
10. Dallas – 47 points with four games left (20 ROW)
11. Phoenix – 46 points with four games left (15 ROW)
While the Phoenix Coyotes are a pretty big longshot, the Stars’ chances are more solid than they might seem because Dallas hosts Columbus on April 25 and then finishes the season with a home game against Detroit on April 27.
Minnesota still has a buffer, so more than a few teams will probably root for the Los Angeles Kings to beat them on Tuesday. After that, the Wild face two of the NHL’s worst teams – albeit division rivals who might delight in spoiling their fun – in the Colorado Avalanche and Edmonton Oilers.
Then again, the Wild were expected to beat the Flames tonight, so that shows us how unsafe it is to make assumptions about the West playoff race.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo points out that the Wild’s front office is confident enough to put postseason tickets on sale, though:
#mnwild playoff strips go on sale Monday at 10 a.m.
— Michael Russo (@Russostrib) April 22, 2013
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)