Apr 21, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
Oilers fans had an unwelcome surprise waiting for them today in the form of bad news for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.
The Oilers reported Hopkins will be flying to Cleveland today to have his shoulder examined and that surgery will likely be needed to repair it, thus ending his season. Hopkins has the same injury teammate Taylor Hall had, a torn labrum, and it’s expected he’ll miss six months of action. That means he’ll miss out on training camp in September.
Shoulder problems are nothing new for Nugent-Hopkins. He’s had issues this year stretching back to last season when he initially hurt it. They came up again in December when there were questions about him playing in the World Junior Championships. This season he’s missed just three games but it’s clear the shoulder problems have been there stretching back to February.
Since the Oilers were hovering around the playoff race most this season, the question of whether or not to get his shoulder looked at when it was hurting two months ago may not have come up. Now that they’re set to miss the postseason again, questions will arise over why it wasn’t addressed sooner.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)