Ryan O’Reilly on tough season: ‘I didn’t do the job’

Apr 21, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT

ryanoreillygetty Getty Images

As it turns out, the 2013 season has often been miserable for the Colorado Avalanche – with or without Ryan O’Reilly. The former holdout told the Denver Post that he fell short of the mark too often this year.

“I thought it felt good for the most part at the start, and then it kind of took a dip and now I can’t seem to find the net right now,” O’Reilly said. “Obviously, we’ve needed some goals and then I get a goal lapse. I had a job to step into and didn’t do it. It’s disappointing. I’m supposed to do the job, and I didn’t do the job.”

The 22-year-old thinks it will all come down to work hard in the offseason (and not just in Las Vegas).

“There’s no more excuses, and it starts with us, and it starts off the ice this summer,” O’Reilly said. “I don’t want to jump ahead, because obviously we’ve still got some games to play. But yes, I need to have a big summer and recover from some injuries that haven’t prevented me from playing, but haven’t made me any better. So I’ve got to take care of those and then regroup and come back strong next year.”

Latest Posts
  1. After 12-game absence, Prust back for Habs

Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT

Brandon Prust Getty Images

He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.

2. Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers

Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ray Emery deflects the puck over his head during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Calgary Flames, Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek) AP

Steve Mason is “out.”

3. Get your game notes: Jackets at Penguins

Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Penguins Blue Jackets Hockey AP

Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.

4. Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup

Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Zdeno Chara AP

Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.

5. Lightning’s Filppula, Palat expected to return for Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula

Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.

6. Fleury’s true comeback bid starts tonight

Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury Marc-Andre Fleury

His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.

7. 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks

Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

StanleyCupPlayoffs14

Add yours in the comments section.

8. Report: Duchene to miss at least first two games of Avalanche-Wild series

Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.

9. Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall

Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

NHL2014Draft

After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches