Apr 21, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
If you flash back to the first month of the NHL season, the Washington Capitals and Alex Ovechkin were having serious struggles. Now, the Caps are atop the Southeast Division and Ovechkin leads the NHL in goals with 30.
As Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com hears it from coach Adam Oates, he never doubted Ovechkin would put it all together.
“A month ago I wouldn’t say anybody was saying he hadn’t lost his touch. But we had faith in him,” Oates said. “We knew what he could do. He’s proved it and we’re going as he’s going and he’s playing good right now.”
“Good” is an understatement for how he’s been playing lately. Over his last 15 games, he’s got 27 points including 18 goals. That’s the kind of play you get by a guy eager to get his team in the postseason and earn his way into the MVP discussion.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)