Apr 21, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
Technically, the New Jersey Devils kept their playoff hopes alive by beating the Florida Panthers 6-2 on Saturday.
Their odds are still ridiculously low – Sports Club Stats gives them less than a five percent shot if they win all four of their remaining games – but the New York Rangers can officially eliminate them in the local rivals’ NHL on NBC match at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday.
The Rangers have plenty to fight for beyond smiting their foes, though. While they’re currently ranked eighth in the East, the Winnipeg Jets remain only one point behind for that final playoff spot.
John Tortorella’s bunch has been beating up on fading teams lately. After struggling to score most of this season, the Rangers pounded the Panthers 6-1 and the Buffalo Sabres 8-4 in back-to-back nights on April 18 and 19.
Considering their recently-broken 10-game losing streak, the Devils might seem like they’d be roadkill for the Rangers as well. That might not be the case, however, as Ilya Kovalchuk seemed comfortable in his return from a shoulder injury on Saturday and New Jersey won its last two games by a combined score of 9-2.
With Brad Richards showing more life lately (particularly scoring a hat trick in New York’s last game) and the Devils grasping for the last remnants of their playoff hopes, Sunday’s game could get awfully interesting … and maybe a little nasty.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 41
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)