Apr 21, 2013, 12:31 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens had a chance to strengthen their Northeast Division lead over the Boston Bruins (who lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins) on Saturday, but instead they flopped badly against the Washington Capitals 5-1.
With a 2-5-0 record in their last seven games, it’s not surprising that there are some angry Habs. Josh Gorges seemed particularly angry while discussing the loss with the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.
“You can talk about X’s & O’s and execution and systems, but we were soft,” Gorges said.
The 28-year-old defenseman was brutally honest about his team’s play, but he thought Habs fans were too hard on Carey Price (who was booed at times during the game amid a recent slump).
“I’ve never understood (booing) in your home building,” Gorges said. “The guy’s been standing up for us … He’s been outstanding for us for years. This isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us.”
“One or two goals, sure, (Price) might have liked to have back but the rest is on the team.”
That defeat keeps Montreal’s Northeast lead at two points, although Boston holds two games in hand (the Bruins have five games left while the Habs have three).
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)