Apr 21, 2013, 12:31 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens had a chance to strengthen their Northeast Division lead over the Boston Bruins (who lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins) on Saturday, but instead they flopped badly against the Washington Capitals 5-1.
With a 2-5-0 record in their last seven games, it’s not surprising that there are some angry Habs. Josh Gorges seemed particularly angry while discussing the loss with the Montreal Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.
“You can talk about X’s & O’s and execution and systems, but we were soft,” Gorges said.
The 28-year-old defenseman was brutally honest about his team’s play, but he thought Habs fans were too hard on Carey Price (who was booed at times during the game amid a recent slump).
“I’ve never understood (booing) in your home building,” Gorges said. “The guy’s been standing up for us … He’s been outstanding for us for years. This isn’t on him, are you kidding me? This is on all of us.”
“One or two goals, sure, (Price) might have liked to have back but the rest is on the team.”
That defeat keeps Montreal’s Northeast lead at two points, although Boston holds two games in hand (the Bruins have five games left while the Habs have three).
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 3
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 13
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)