Apr 21, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils’ playoff odds were extremely slim, but that probably didn’t make it much less fun for the New York Rangers to drive the final nail in that coffin with a 4-1 win on Sunday. Let’s get to the talking points.
- This win strengthens the Rangers’ grip on the eighth seed in the East and also ties them in points with Ottawa (although the Senators have an extra game in hand). How hard should New York work to avoid a first round matchup with the Pittsburgh Penguins? Conversely, how worried might the Penguins be?
- One nugget to justify possible worries: the Rangers are heating up (albeit against struggling teams). With this win, they’ve won their last three games by a combined score of 18-6.
- Brad Richards had two assists following a hat trick in his last performance. How dangerous is this squad as a dark horse candidate if the well-compensated center can build on this momentum?
- It wasn’t a great game for Martin Brodeur, who made some mistakes and allowed four goals on 22 shots. How much does he really have left after a rough season?
- Either way, Johan Hedberg‘s contract expires after this season. Should GM Lou Lamoriello go after a starting-quality goalie or aim for more of a backup?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
All that and more, inside.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)