Apr 21, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils’ playoff odds were extremely slim, but that probably didn’t make it much less fun for the New York Rangers to drive the final nail in that coffin with a 4-1 win on Sunday. Let’s get to the talking points.
- This win strengthens the Rangers’ grip on the eighth seed in the East and also ties them in points with Ottawa (although the Senators have an extra game in hand). How hard should New York work to avoid a first round matchup with the Pittsburgh Penguins? Conversely, how worried might the Penguins be?
- One nugget to justify possible worries: the Rangers are heating up (albeit against struggling teams). With this win, they’ve won their last three games by a combined score of 18-6.
- Brad Richards had two assists following a hat trick in his last performance. How dangerous is this squad as a dark horse candidate if the well-compensated center can build on this momentum?
- It wasn’t a great game for Martin Brodeur, who made some mistakes and allowed four goals on 22 shots. How much does he really have left after a rough season?
- Either way, Johan Hedberg‘s contract expires after this season. Should GM Lou Lamoriello go after a starting-quality goalie or aim for more of a backup?
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
No pressure, kid.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
Game 2’s galore.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
“It seems when we lose a game everyone’s really focused to get back on the winning track.”
Apr 17, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Mike Fisher looks like he’s unable to go.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)