Apr 21, 2013, 11:28 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets’ startling run to the playoffs has shocked many, but they still have a way to go. Forward R.J. Umberger seems pretty convinced that they’ll make the postseason – and maybe even steal the seventh spot while they’re at it.
He provided some bold words to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Yeah, this is definitely for real. We’re not just trying to get the eight spot, we want to get as high as we can get,” Umberger said. We’re a very confident team. Everyone in here believes. We feel like it’s our destiny to make the playoffs.”
Like his team, Umberger has had a flair for the dramatic. He only has a goal and an assist in his last 11 games, but both of those points came at key times for a team that’s often winning by a slim margin of error.
One might say that’s exactly the type of training that a team needs to win when things really tighten up in the playoffs …
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 2
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 5
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 65
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)