Apr 21, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets’ startling run to the playoffs has shocked many, but they still have a way to go. Forward R.J. Umberger seems pretty convinced that they’ll make the postseason – and maybe even steal the seventh spot while they’re at it.
He provided some bold words to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Yeah, this is definitely for real. We’re not just trying to get the eight spot, we want to get as high as we can get,” Umberger said. We’re a very confident team. Everyone in here believes. We feel like it’s our destiny to make the playoffs.”
Like his team, Umberger has had a flair for the dramatic. He only has a goal and an assist in his last 11 games, but both of those points came at key times for a team that’s often winning by a slim margin of error.
One might say that’s exactly the type of training that a team needs to win when things really tighten up in the playoffs …
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)