Apr 21, 2013, 11:28 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets’ startling run to the playoffs has shocked many, but they still have a way to go. Forward R.J. Umberger seems pretty convinced that they’ll make the postseason – and maybe even steal the seventh spot while they’re at it.
He provided some bold words to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Yeah, this is definitely for real. We’re not just trying to get the eight spot, we want to get as high as we can get,” Umberger said. We’re a very confident team. Everyone in here believes. We feel like it’s our destiny to make the playoffs.”
Like his team, Umberger has had a flair for the dramatic. He only has a goal and an assist in his last 11 games, but both of those points came at key times for a team that’s often winning by a slim margin of error.
One might say that’s exactly the type of training that a team needs to win when things really tighten up in the playoffs …
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 4
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54