Apr 21, 2013, 11:28 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets’ startling run to the playoffs has shocked many, but they still have a way to go. Forward R.J. Umberger seems pretty convinced that they’ll make the postseason – and maybe even steal the seventh spot while they’re at it.
He provided some bold words to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
“Yeah, this is definitely for real. We’re not just trying to get the eight spot, we want to get as high as we can get,” Umberger said. We’re a very confident team. Everyone in here believes. We feel like it’s our destiny to make the playoffs.”
Like his team, Umberger has had a flair for the dramatic. He only has a goal and an assist in his last 11 games, but both of those points came at key times for a team that’s often winning by a slim margin of error.
One might say that’s exactly the type of training that a team needs to win when things really tighten up in the playoffs …
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)