Apr 21, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
The New York Rangers officially booted the New Jersey Devils from the playoff conversation by beating them 4-1 on Sunday, but Martin Brodeur told the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti that it was just a matter of time.
If that’s true, then the natural question is: why did the defending Eastern Conference champions fail to even make the playoffs? The future Hall of Famer chalks it up to lost star power.
“There’s Zach [Parise]. That’s a top-three forward we never got back,” Brodeur said. “When Kovy went down, it made a big difference in not having another top guy. That was probably the big difference that you see.”
Both scorers were surely missed, but more than a few people wonder how much more competitive the Devils might have been if their goaltending was better.
That weakness seemed clearest when the 40-year-old netminder was injured and forced to watch Johan Hedberg struggle, yet the team suffered from weak netminding for most of 2013. Only seven teams sported a poorer collective save percentage than Brodeur-Hedberg did this season.
One can debate the Devils’ fatal flaw, but Brodeur seems pretty convinced that their most glaring weakness came on offense.
“At the end of the day, when you don’t score goals or you don’t score them timely anyway and when you do you don’t score many, it’s going to hurt you,” Brodeur said. “You can get all the excuses, but at the end of the day, you’ve got to feel good about the way you played and for us we worked really hard and we feel real good, it was just not enough this year.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
“We just didn’t execute tonight.”
Nov 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
The Blackhawks defenseman was able to stay in the game.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:18 PM EST
He was quite composed when he said it, for the record.
Nov 28, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Anaheim forward didn’t take another shift for the remainder of the opening frame.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:54 PM EST
Veteran d-man wasn’t playing much for Tampa Bay.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Oilers looked better last night in Nashville.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:04 PM EST
Cam Talbot shuts the door again, Blueshirts win 3-0.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
“Just that idea destroys the whole credibility of an organization.”
Nov 28, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Even after Semyon Varlamov returns from injury.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Not bad for a little guy who wasn’t even drafted.
Nov 28, 2014, 2:39 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 28, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
Veteran d-man will be parked in the press box in Buffalo tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Minnesota’s in Dallas tonight.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov was brilliant last season, but not so much this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
Rivals meet for the second time this season.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
“And I say that with all due respect to the players we have.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
Nov 28, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After missing the last 11 games with a separated shoulder.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
“Need a little more traffic, need second efforts.”
Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Former King, Devil and ‘Cane joins HC Lokomotiv.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)