Apr 21, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
The New York Rangers officially booted the New Jersey Devils from the playoff conversation by beating them 4-1 on Sunday, but Martin Brodeur told the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti that it was just a matter of time.
If that’s true, then the natural question is: why did the defending Eastern Conference champions fail to even make the playoffs? The future Hall of Famer chalks it up to lost star power.
“There’s Zach [Parise]. That’s a top-three forward we never got back,” Brodeur said. “When Kovy went down, it made a big difference in not having another top guy. That was probably the big difference that you see.”
Both scorers were surely missed, but more than a few people wonder how much more competitive the Devils might have been if their goaltending was better.
That weakness seemed clearest when the 40-year-old netminder was injured and forced to watch Johan Hedberg struggle, yet the team suffered from weak netminding for most of 2013. Only seven teams sported a poorer collective save percentage than Brodeur-Hedberg did this season.
One can debate the Devils’ fatal flaw, but Brodeur seems pretty convinced that their most glaring weakness came on offense.
“At the end of the day, when you don’t score goals or you don’t score them timely anyway and when you do you don’t score many, it’s going to hurt you,” Brodeur said. “You can get all the excuses, but at the end of the day, you’ve got to feel good about the way you played and for us we worked really hard and we feel real good, it was just not enough this year.”
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)