Apr 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks and St. Louis Blues failed in their attempts to clinch playoff spots on Sunday. The Sharks fell 4-3 to the Columbus Blue Jackets (more here) while the Blues were thwarted by the Colorado Avalanche 5-3.
On the bright side, neither team carries the same kind of anxieties as the Minnesota Wild must be dealing with right now.
The Sharks remain parked in fifth place with 55 points (three games remaining) while the Blues are one step behind them at sixth place with 54 points and three games left.
While San Jose lost a thriller to the Blue Jackets, the Avalanche handled St. Louis pretty easily. Brian Elliott was pulled late in the second period after allowing four goals on 19 shots. He’s been red-hot lately, but the Blues may worry that the “other” Elliott might show up after he lit up the league following his reemergence.
The West seems like it holds a lot of potential for drama in the last week of the season, but the Blues and Sharks don’t need to panic just yet. Still, they’d feel a lot more comfortable if they took care of business tonight.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)