Apr 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks and St. Louis Blues failed in their attempts to clinch playoff spots on Sunday. The Sharks fell 4-3 to the Columbus Blue Jackets (more here) while the Blues were thwarted by the Colorado Avalanche 5-3.
On the bright side, neither team carries the same kind of anxieties as the Minnesota Wild must be dealing with right now.
The Sharks remain parked in fifth place with 55 points (three games remaining) while the Blues are one step behind them at sixth place with 54 points and three games left.
While San Jose lost a thriller to the Blue Jackets, the Avalanche handled St. Louis pretty easily. Brian Elliott was pulled late in the second period after allowing four goals on 19 shots. He’s been red-hot lately, but the Blues may worry that the “other” Elliott might show up after he lit up the league following his reemergence.
The West seems like it holds a lot of potential for drama in the last week of the season, but the Blues and Sharks don’t need to panic just yet. Still, they’d feel a lot more comfortable if they took care of business tonight.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 15
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (49)