Apr 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks and St. Louis Blues failed in their attempts to clinch playoff spots on Sunday. The Sharks fell 4-3 to the Columbus Blue Jackets (more here) while the Blues were thwarted by the Colorado Avalanche 5-3.
On the bright side, neither team carries the same kind of anxieties as the Minnesota Wild must be dealing with right now.
The Sharks remain parked in fifth place with 55 points (three games remaining) while the Blues are one step behind them at sixth place with 54 points and three games left.
While San Jose lost a thriller to the Blue Jackets, the Avalanche handled St. Louis pretty easily. Brian Elliott was pulled late in the second period after allowing four goals on 19 shots. He’s been red-hot lately, but the Blues may worry that the “other” Elliott might show up after he lit up the league following his reemergence.
The West seems like it holds a lot of potential for drama in the last week of the season, but the Blues and Sharks don’t need to panic just yet. Still, they’d feel a lot more comfortable if they took care of business tonight.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 57
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (92)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)