Apr 21, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
If it wasn’t clear before, Sunday made it obvious: dismiss the Columbus Blue Jackets at your own peril.
The scrappy bunch won yet another game by a slim margin – and in dramatic fashion – as they held off a San Jose Sharks surge to prevail 4-3 on Sunday.
Columbus has won six of its last seven games (including four of five in a six-game road trip that seemed to have “doom” written all over it). The Blue Jackets last three victories came when it seemed like they’d settle for a loss or at least need to go to extra time.
April 15 (4-3 OT win at Colorado): They tied the game with about a minute and a half left in the third period and then won it with less than 30 seconds left in OT.
April 17: (3-2 OT win at Anaheim): They scored another third period game-tying goal before scoring in overtime.
April 18: Loss at Los Angeles.
Sunday night: Ryan Johansen scored the game-winner with a little more than 90 seconds remaining in the third:
This win strengthens the Blue Jackets’ hold on the eighth seed in the West with 51 points and two games remaining. They’ll still need to work some more magic to complete this Cinderella run to the postseason, but at this point, would you bet against them?
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31