Apr 21, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
If it wasn’t clear before, Sunday made it obvious: dismiss the Columbus Blue Jackets at your own peril.
The scrappy bunch won yet another game by a slim margin – and in dramatic fashion – as they held off a San Jose Sharks surge to prevail 4-3 on Sunday.
Columbus has won six of its last seven games (including four of five in a six-game road trip that seemed to have “doom” written all over it). The Blue Jackets last three victories came when it seemed like they’d settle for a loss or at least need to go to extra time.
April 15 (4-3 OT win at Colorado): They tied the game with about a minute and a half left in the third period and then won it with less than 30 seconds left in OT.
April 17: (3-2 OT win at Anaheim): They scored another third period game-tying goal before scoring in overtime.
April 18: Loss at Los Angeles.
Sunday night: Ryan Johansen scored the game-winner with a little more than 90 seconds remaining in the third:
This win strengthens the Blue Jackets’ hold on the eighth seed in the West with 51 points and two games remaining. They’ll still need to work some more magic to complete this Cinderella run to the postseason, but at this point, would you bet against them?
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7