Apr 20, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke is as divisive a character as there is in hockey. In Boston, he’s virtually Public Enemy No. 1 among Bruins fans thanks to the hit he delivered that ruined Marc Savard‘s career.
That was fresh in the mind of NESN’s acerbic play-by-play man Jack Edwards as he sounded off on Cooke during the first period of today’s Bruins-Penguins game in Boston. He ripped Pittsburgh’s media for nominating Cooke for the Masterton Trophy last year and then stepped it up a notch from there. Check out the video from YouTube.
Yes, he said Cooke “assassinated the career of Marc Savard” and compared him to Robert Kennedy’s assassin Sirhan Sirhan. If that sounds completely bonkers to you, Edwards would probably agree as he apologized both on Twitter and over the air for the comments.
Edwards saying outlandish and over-the-top things on air isn’t anything new, but this kind of comment in the wake of everything that happened in Boston this week was probably a bit too much.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)