Apr 20, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin padded his goal-scoring lead (and helped his Washington Capitals fatten their own Southeast Division lead) with tallies 29 and 30 of the 2013 season in a 5-1 win against the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday.
Here’s goal No. 29:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Now enjoy No. 30:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That victory gives the Capitals 52 points with three games remaining, three more points than the Winnipeg Jets (who also have three more games left). The Caps face an opportunity to clinch the division when they play against Winnipeg on Tuesday.
In case you’re wondering how Ovechkin’s 30 goals in 45 games might translate to an 82-game season, he’s on pace for 55 goals (OK, 54.67). Steven Stamkos remains in second place with 27 goals and four games remaining.
Want to watch some of the game’s biggest moments? Watch the full highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 0
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 7
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)