Apr 20, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin padded his goal-scoring lead (and helped his Washington Capitals fatten their own Southeast Division lead) with tallies 29 and 30 of the 2013 season in a 5-1 win against the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday.
Here’s goal No. 29:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Now enjoy No. 30:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That victory gives the Capitals 52 points with three games remaining, three more points than the Winnipeg Jets (who also have three more games left). The Caps face an opportunity to clinch the division when they play against Winnipeg on Tuesday.
In case you’re wondering how Ovechkin’s 30 goals in 45 games might translate to an 82-game season, he’s on pace for 55 goals (OK, 54.67). Steven Stamkos remains in second place with 27 goals and four games remaining.
Want to watch some of the game’s biggest moments? Watch the full highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)