Apr 20, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin padded his goal-scoring lead (and helped his Washington Capitals fatten their own Southeast Division lead) with tallies 29 and 30 of the 2013 season in a 5-1 win against the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday.
Here’s goal No. 29:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Now enjoy No. 30:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
That victory gives the Capitals 52 points with three games remaining, three more points than the Winnipeg Jets (who also have three more games left). The Caps face an opportunity to clinch the division when they play against Winnipeg on Tuesday.
In case you’re wondering how Ovechkin’s 30 goals in 45 games might translate to an 82-game season, he’s on pace for 55 goals (OK, 54.67). Steven Stamkos remains in second place with 27 goals and four games remaining.
Want to watch some of the game’s biggest moments? Watch the full highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)