Apr 20, 2013, 9:57 PM EST
If you just heard a huge cheer coming from the general Ontario area, you might not be mistaken. The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Ottawa Senators 4-1 on Saturday to clinch their first playoff berth since the 2003-04 season.
The NHL’s longest playoff drought now belongs to the Edmonton Oilers (they haven’t made it since they lost to the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 7 of the 2006 Stanley Cup finals).
Like many nights this season, the Phil Kessel and James van Riemsdyk combo fueled the offense (Kessel assisted on two JVR goals) while James Reimer was the biggest difference-maker (49 out of 50 saves).
You’ll probably read plenty of “the last time Toronto made the postseason” jokes and facts in the next hour or so, but here’s an especially good one from The Score to whet your appetite:
The last time the #Leafs clinched a playoff berth, Facebook had less than 500 users.
— Check The Ticker (@ChecktheTicker) April 21, 2013
At this moment, the Maple Leafs hold the fifth seed in the East, but that can change (especially if the New York Islanders remain hot). Regardless, plenty of Toronto fans probably feel euphoric just to have this conversation once again.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:42 AM EST
Ducks and Rangers have been hot.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:37 AM EST
Just one day after Artem Anisimov drew back into the lineup.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
St. Louis’ forward depth about to be tested.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:06 AM EST
Rangers d-man has struggled to get games recently.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
74-year-old was the first player to ever have his jersey retired by the organization.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST
Will he make his NHL debut?
Jan 30, 2015, 9:56 AM EST
There’s lots of interest in him, but teams that see him as a rental might balk at that price.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
Both are out Friday.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:04 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Head coach Mike Yeo said he earned that goose egg, too.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:47 PM EST
So much for some rest for Frederik Andersen.
Jan 29, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
Two youngsters change teams.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:22 PM EST
A bit of a statement from Tampa Bay?
Jan 29, 2015, 9:51 PM EST
A bitter game at times.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:44 PM EST
Oliver Ekman-Larsson catches him sleeping.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:33 PM EST
Another strong game on NBCSN.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:49 PM EST
Nice applause in his return to Ottawa.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:19 PM EST
Jan 29, 2015, 7:12 PM EST
To some extent, it was about staying closer to the game.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:17 PM EST
Bask in a budding rivalry.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 0
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 6
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11