Apr 20, 2013, 2:58 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars had an opportunity Friday to match the Columbus Blue Jackets in points, as they continue to battle, along with the Detroit Red Wings, for that eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Stars, playing on the road less than 24 hours after skating to a 5-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks in Dallas, couldn’t find the same offensive punch in a 2-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
The loss could prove costly.
The Stars are 10th in the West, only two points behind the Blue Jackets for eighth.
But the Stars have only four games remaining on their schedule – two on the road against the L.A. Kings and San Jose Sharks and two at home against the Blue Jackets and Red Wings.
Time could be running out on the Stars and their Stanley Cup playoff hopes. They need wins.
“I just know we have to go into [Los Angeles] and San Jose and get some points,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com.
“I know two teams we are battling with, Columbus and Detroit, are all at the end [at home]. Anything can happen and we are just focusing on things we can take from this game that help us in the next game.”
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63