Apr 20, 2013, 2:58 AM EST
The Dallas Stars had an opportunity Friday to match the Columbus Blue Jackets in points, as they continue to battle, along with the Detroit Red Wings, for that eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Stars, playing on the road less than 24 hours after skating to a 5-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks in Dallas, couldn’t find the same offensive punch in a 2-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
The loss could prove costly.
The Stars are 10th in the West, only two points behind the Blue Jackets for eighth.
But the Stars have only four games remaining on their schedule – two on the road against the L.A. Kings and San Jose Sharks and two at home against the Blue Jackets and Red Wings.
Time could be running out on the Stars and their Stanley Cup playoff hopes. They need wins.
“I just know we have to go into [Los Angeles] and San Jose and get some points,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com.
“I know two teams we are battling with, Columbus and Detroit, are all at the end [at home]. Anything can happen and we are just focusing on things we can take from this game that help us in the next game.”
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 74
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 72
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 63
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 72
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (75)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (72)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (72)