Apr 20, 2013, 2:58 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars had an opportunity Friday to match the Columbus Blue Jackets in points, as they continue to battle, along with the Detroit Red Wings, for that eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Stars, playing on the road less than 24 hours after skating to a 5-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks in Dallas, couldn’t find the same offensive punch in a 2-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
The loss could prove costly.
The Stars are 10th in the West, only two points behind the Blue Jackets for eighth.
But the Stars have only four games remaining on their schedule – two on the road against the L.A. Kings and San Jose Sharks and two at home against the Blue Jackets and Red Wings.
Time could be running out on the Stars and their Stanley Cup playoff hopes. They need wins.
“I just know we have to go into [Los Angeles] and San Jose and get some points,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com.
“I know two teams we are battling with, Columbus and Detroit, are all at the end [at home]. Anything can happen and we are just focusing on things we can take from this game that help us in the next game.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)