Apr 20, 2013, 2:58 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars had an opportunity Friday to match the Columbus Blue Jackets in points, as they continue to battle, along with the Detroit Red Wings, for that eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Stars, playing on the road less than 24 hours after skating to a 5-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks in Dallas, couldn’t find the same offensive punch in a 2-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
The loss could prove costly.
The Stars are 10th in the West, only two points behind the Blue Jackets for eighth.
But the Stars have only four games remaining on their schedule – two on the road against the L.A. Kings and San Jose Sharks and two at home against the Blue Jackets and Red Wings.
Time could be running out on the Stars and their Stanley Cup playoff hopes. They need wins.
“I just know we have to go into [Los Angeles] and San Jose and get some points,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com.
“I know two teams we are battling with, Columbus and Detroit, are all at the end [at home]. Anything can happen and we are just focusing on things we can take from this game that help us in the next game.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)