Apr 20, 2013, 2:58 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars had an opportunity Friday to match the Columbus Blue Jackets in points, as they continue to battle, along with the Detroit Red Wings, for that eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
The Stars, playing on the road less than 24 hours after skating to a 5-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks in Dallas, couldn’t find the same offensive punch in a 2-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues.
The loss could prove costly.
The Stars are 10th in the West, only two points behind the Blue Jackets for eighth.
But the Stars have only four games remaining on their schedule – two on the road against the L.A. Kings and San Jose Sharks and two at home against the Blue Jackets and Red Wings.
Time could be running out on the Stars and their Stanley Cup playoff hopes. They need wins.
“I just know we have to go into [Los Angeles] and San Jose and get some points,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com.
“I know two teams we are battling with, Columbus and Detroit, are all at the end [at home]. Anything can happen and we are just focusing on things we can take from this game that help us in the next game.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 57
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 27
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15