Apr 20, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jarome Iginla will play in Boston today.
That’s significant because it will be his first trip to TD Garden this season, and since he elected to be traded from the Calgary Flames to Pittsburgh in late March and NOT Boston.
Even members of the Bruins’ front office believed they had won the Iginla sweepstakes.
It’s believed Bruins’ fans aren’t likely to give the 35-year-old Iginla, who has scored 527 goals and 1,101 points in 1,227 career regular season games, a warm reception.
“I saw on the Internet that [Iginla] was in Pittsburgh when I expected him to be with us. It was a little bit of a shocker. I didn’t really know what the reason was, but that’s the way it goes sometimes,” Bruins forward Brad Marchand told CSNNE.com.
“Nothing is done until it’s signed and he’s over here. I’m sure there will be some fans that will be unhappy about the way it went down. I’m sure he won’t be welcomed in the building. But it’s also part of what makes these games even more fun.”
That’s one storyline.
It’s also a meeting of two very strong teams in the Eastern Conference.
The Penguins, even without the injured Sidney Crosby, are first in the East with a 33-10-0 record and 66 points. The Bruins are fourth in the East with a 26-11-5 record and 57 points.
Boston is only two points back of the Montreal Canadiens for top spot in the Northeast Division.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)