Apr 20, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jarome Iginla will play in Boston today.
That’s significant because it will be his first trip to TD Garden this season, and since he elected to be traded from the Calgary Flames to Pittsburgh in late March and NOT Boston.
Even members of the Bruins’ front office believed they had won the Iginla sweepstakes.
It’s believed Bruins’ fans aren’t likely to give the 35-year-old Iginla, who has scored 527 goals and 1,101 points in 1,227 career regular season games, a warm reception.
“I saw on the Internet that [Iginla] was in Pittsburgh when I expected him to be with us. It was a little bit of a shocker. I didn’t really know what the reason was, but that’s the way it goes sometimes,” Bruins forward Brad Marchand told CSNNE.com.
“Nothing is done until it’s signed and he’s over here. I’m sure there will be some fans that will be unhappy about the way it went down. I’m sure he won’t be welcomed in the building. But it’s also part of what makes these games even more fun.”
That’s one storyline.
It’s also a meeting of two very strong teams in the Eastern Conference.
The Penguins, even without the injured Sidney Crosby, are first in the East with a 33-10-0 record and 66 points. The Bruins are fourth in the East with a 26-11-5 record and 57 points.
Boston is only two points back of the Montreal Canadiens for top spot in the Northeast Division.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)