Apr 20, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jarome Iginla will play in Boston today.
That’s significant because it will be his first trip to TD Garden this season, and since he elected to be traded from the Calgary Flames to Pittsburgh in late March and NOT Boston.
Even members of the Bruins’ front office believed they had won the Iginla sweepstakes.
It’s believed Bruins’ fans aren’t likely to give the 35-year-old Iginla, who has scored 527 goals and 1,101 points in 1,227 career regular season games, a warm reception.
“I saw on the Internet that [Iginla] was in Pittsburgh when I expected him to be with us. It was a little bit of a shocker. I didn’t really know what the reason was, but that’s the way it goes sometimes,” Bruins forward Brad Marchand told CSNNE.com.
“Nothing is done until it’s signed and he’s over here. I’m sure there will be some fans that will be unhappy about the way it went down. I’m sure he won’t be welcomed in the building. But it’s also part of what makes these games even more fun.”
That’s one storyline.
It’s also a meeting of two very strong teams in the Eastern Conference.
The Penguins, even without the injured Sidney Crosby, are first in the East with a 33-10-0 record and 66 points. The Bruins are fourth in the East with a 26-11-5 record and 57 points.
Boston is only two points back of the Montreal Canadiens for top spot in the Northeast Division.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)