Penguins-Bruins: Iginla ‘won’t be welcomed in the building’

Apr 20, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Rangers Getty Images

Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jarome Iginla will play in Boston today.

That’s significant because it will be his first trip to TD Garden this season, and since he elected to be traded from the Calgary Flames to Pittsburgh in late March and NOT Boston.

Even members of the Bruins’ front office believed they had won the Iginla sweepstakes.

It’s believed Bruins’ fans aren’t likely to give the 35-year-old Iginla, who has scored 527 goals and 1,101 points in 1,227 career regular season games, a warm reception.

“I saw on the Internet that [Iginla] was in Pittsburgh when I expected him to be with us. It was a little bit of a shocker. I didn’t really know what the reason was, but that’s the way it goes sometimes,” Bruins forward Brad Marchand told CSNNE.com.

“Nothing is done until it’s signed and he’s over here. I’m sure there will be some fans that will be unhappy about the way it went down. I’m sure he won’t be welcomed in the building. But it’s also part of what makes these games even more fun.”

That’s one storyline.

It’s also a meeting of two very strong teams in the Eastern Conference.

The Penguins, even without the injured Sidney Crosby, are first in the East with a 33-10-0 record and 66 points. The Bruins are fourth in the East with a 26-11-5 record and 57 points.

Boston is only two points back of the Montreal Canadiens for top spot in the Northeast Division.

1. sidgenotanger2944 - Apr 20, 2013 at 6:17 AM

It really doesn’t matter if he is welcomed in Boston, cause he is welcomed in The’Burgh. Go Iggy and Let’s Go Pens!!!!!

2. dumbassgreg - Apr 20, 2013 at 6:38 AM

there will be one word iggy hears. the same one subban hears but media is too sacred to report nigger.also iggy is too classy for father julien and his alter boy marchand. sadly the class of bourque and orr is replaced by father julien preaching one thing doing opposite just like mel gibson religion often does lmao.

• bman7206 - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

What is this? Greg were you mistreated as a choirboy when you were little??

• dewzer - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM

DA, you certainly picked the right name. Look at the marathon bombing coverage to see what a mult- cultural city Boston is. B’s fans respect Subban’s skill just not his diving. Went to the last B’s-Habs game and didn’t hear a single slur, just boos. Just glad to have our city back. Come see what a great place it is you tool.

• govtminion - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Amen, dewzer. If anything positive came from all this, it’s that the world has seen Boston’s true face this week. Every city has its reject fans who say stupid crap without turning their brains on- some of what was said last summer about Joel Ward was utterly disgusting. But they’re a drop in the pond- the real Boston was on display this week, and it’s good people overall.

But, some people will continue to pick out that few people who made racist comments and declare that’s the real city. Let them- if they really want to try to believe that, it’s their loss- and it makes them no different than the racists in the first place, painting an entire population based on the stupidity of a few.

3. thehighcountrybear - Apr 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM

IDowntown Boston might be the last place anyone the focal point of a slight to Bruins might want to be…

it’s not like Bruins faithful harbour grudges in their black and gold hearts or carry size twelve chips on their shoulders?

Will the game and the Garden serve in part as a place of catharsis?

[ tab this as a much watch ]

• steelpenbucs87 - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Can I just say that I have no idea why you get so many thumbs down for your comments? I don’t always agree with the content but I like the way you put them together.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I agree – i seldom agree with him but who cares, he’s a pretty good dude and i like his input!

4. letsgopens8771 - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

First off, I want to congratulate Boston’s finest for capturing that crazy kid. He is the same age as my brother, which is scary to know. I am really happy for Boston’s people now. They are a tough, resilient bunch. My thoughts and prayers go out to all people affected by the bombings and shootings. I was thrilled when they got him and I can’t imagine the thrill that Boston is going through. I want Boston to get a win,… but not today.

As for Iginla, I knew this would be coming, but I don’t care. I also thought they would boo Morrow because he almost was a Bruin as well, but whatever. Hope Iggy scores today as we get a season sweep of Boston.

• ucaneverscorenoughgoals - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Can’t be anymore classy of an opposing fan than that.

I second everything you just said.

5. jpelle82 - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

i’m sure booing iginla is at the top of their list of priorities now that they caught the bomber, right behind getting drunk by 10 am today. if boston wants to boo iginla fine, they can boo all the way til the last whistle when they pens roll out of there with another W.

6. vipod4ever - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I smell first round upset. Rangers, Isles will knock the Pens out. Forget Iggy, does anoyone trust Fleury in nets? His like a faucet

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM

A leaky facet that stops the drip 91% of the time?

• steelpenbucs87 - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM

and has proven he can be the best faucet in the game when it counts in 09?

7. hockeywithdrawal - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Did marchand take over the GM duties, or is he just speaking from an idiot’s standpoint again? To boo Iginla would be classless. I’m interested to see if Boston fans are really that classless. It also would be a slap in the face to Jagr.

• tdrusher225 - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

While I don’t agree with any hard feelings towards Hossa (and I’m guessing your point is that Boston fans can go ahead an be classless because there are classless Pens fans?), Iginla never played for Boston…nor did he reject an offer saying he thinks another team has a better shot at the cup. He simply enacted a RIGHT within his OWN CONTRACT, which Boston fans were not able to change, to say where he wanted to play. Best opportunity for HIM.

• tdrusher225 - Apr 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I don’t know what you were trying to say there, but Iginla is the sole reason the trade with Boston did not go through. That’s called rejecting a trade. And he did it because he felt the Penguins have the best chance to win. I have no problem with that. But if you’re saying that booing a player who freely chose to not play for your team and opting to go to a rival is classless. Then that is idiotic and hypocritical. Especially since Penguins fans, nor any other fan base, would’ve reacted any differently in the same situation.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

And you think the Pens would have been headhunting someone all day? No, you’re wrong – been exposed to classlessness so long that you don’t understand it’s not normal. Thanks to the fine people of Boston today, for bringing it home to Jerome that he made the right decision.

• tdrusher225 - Apr 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM

You’re totally full of it bro. First of all I was addressing the fans, which you won’t respond to because you know the crowd at Consol would’ve booed loud and proud if they were in same situation. Also, if you’ve really got a problem with the Bruins playing rough with Iginla, you should stop crying. I didn’t see anything awful, and that’s what teams do, target the good players. So stop being a baby and a hypocrite.

• hockeywithdrawal - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Don’t tell me what the crown WOULD have been doing, simple facts are Iginla didn’t want to come there. What I saw (while you saw nothing wrong), was Boston proving itself to be unworthy…not just of Iginla, but hopefully of future players with trade clauses.

• tdrusher225 - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Unworthy? How pretentious are you? Not only that but you think by their actions today by booing Jarome Iginla and not playing nice with him, the Bruins have proven themselves unworthy of Iginla’s holy presence and the presence of future players. That’s idiotic beyond belief. I’m pretty sure Rick Nash was booed by Rangers fans and was roughed up when he played against them last season, and he had no problem waiving his no-trade clause. Man I thought you were just hypocritical, but it turns out you’re just dumb.

8. pdmjr - Apr 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The number one thing on the minds of Bostonians this morning is Jarome Iginla

9. 8man - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I’m over it. It was the media that got it all wrong. The 6-5 loss to Montreal that same night hurt far worse. And it still pisses me off. The Bs roster is set. We roll with who we have. And happy to have ‘em. Go Bs!

10. bozosforall - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

As usual, the classlessness of Boston will shine through. They will NEVER be as great as their big brother cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. What a whiny bunch of losers you all are.

• kmacle - Apr 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM

When you’re elite you stop measuring yourself against others. Never would have occurred to you though, right?

• bozosforall - Apr 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Boston always measures themselves against others…shows your collective insecurity. Get over it.

11. thatley99 - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I think Iginla will have a big day and am taking him in my fantasy contest today to win $300

12. titansbro - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I think a hockey game is a nice reprieve from what this city has been going through this past week. I live in Watertown & trust me, Jarome freaking Iginla is the last thing on anyone’s mind today. Sure didn’t take long for Pens fans to start trashing Bs fans again. And we’re classless?

13. modellforprez - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:49 AM

they can boo him till the final horn says PENGUINS 6 bruins 3 and i dont think it will matter. but something tells me there is a bigger situation at hand that will over shadow this. and we are all still Americans and after that final horn the men and women are still my brothers and sisters.

14. bostonstrong28 - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM

in a time like this thats just petty BS we r boston stong and got boston pride that dont matter I just wanna see a good game today and all that other crap is other crap BOSTON STAND UP LETS GO BOSTON 617 781 978 ♧♣♧♣♧

15. bobhpine - Apr 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM

The guy had a no trade and he picked the best team in the league.

What a jerk! Hate on haters.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches