Apr 20, 2013, 7:42 PM EST
He essentially chalked the whole thing up to a hockey play when discussing the check with the Raleigh News & Observer.
“He’s a big guy obviously,” Skinner said. “I only looked at the hit once or twice. It’s pretty compact. His arms are in. I’m kinda leaning forward and there’s not much he can do. He’s trying to take the body and it’s a physical game.
“That play happens all the time in a game. Guys are going to run into each other. I don’t think it was dirty. I think it’s a clean hit.”
Really, the 20-year-old is just trying not to think too much about how he could have avoided the collision, which fueled worries that he suffered another concussion (GM Jim Rutherford says he didn’t).
“Go back and look at it and maybe I shouldn’t have been cutting across there,” Skinner said. “I saw (Cowen). I didn’t think he would step up there in the neutral zone but he did. I don’t think there’s any point in dwelling on it. I’m sure I’ll try to learn from it but it’s done and it’s time to move forward.”
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)