Apr 20, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
He essentially chalked the whole thing up to a hockey play when discussing the check with the Raleigh News & Observer.
“He’s a big guy obviously,” Skinner said. “I only looked at the hit once or twice. It’s pretty compact. His arms are in. I’m kinda leaning forward and there’s not much he can do. He’s trying to take the body and it’s a physical game.
“That play happens all the time in a game. Guys are going to run into each other. I don’t think it was dirty. I think it’s a clean hit.”
Really, the 20-year-old is just trying not to think too much about how he could have avoided the collision, which fueled worries that he suffered another concussion (GM Jim Rutherford says he didn’t).
“Go back and look at it and maybe I shouldn’t have been cutting across there,” Skinner said. “I saw (Cowen). I didn’t think he would step up there in the neutral zone but he did. I don’t think there’s any point in dwelling on it. I’m sure I’ll try to learn from it but it’s done and it’s time to move forward.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15