Apr 20, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
He essentially chalked the whole thing up to a hockey play when discussing the check with the Raleigh News & Observer.
“He’s a big guy obviously,” Skinner said. “I only looked at the hit once or twice. It’s pretty compact. His arms are in. I’m kinda leaning forward and there’s not much he can do. He’s trying to take the body and it’s a physical game.
“That play happens all the time in a game. Guys are going to run into each other. I don’t think it was dirty. I think it’s a clean hit.”
Really, the 20-year-old is just trying not to think too much about how he could have avoided the collision, which fueled worries that he suffered another concussion (GM Jim Rutherford says he didn’t).
“Go back and look at it and maybe I shouldn’t have been cutting across there,” Skinner said. “I saw (Cowen). I didn’t think he would step up there in the neutral zone but he did. I don’t think there’s any point in dwelling on it. I’m sure I’ll try to learn from it but it’s done and it’s time to move forward.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 48
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 24
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (76)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)