Apr 20, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk told the Bergen Record that he didn’t feel pain or experience problems during his return to action in the New Jersey Devils’ 6-2 win against the Florida Panthers on Saturday.
“The first couple of shifts I was little – not nervous – but not in game shape,” Kovalchuk said. “Then, after the first five minutes I got a couple of hits and I feel more comfortable and we started playing better as a line for sure.”
In some ways, it’s likely a good sign that Kovalchuk, 30, seemed preoccupied with his individual shortcomings during a blowout win instead of any soreness to his injured shoulder (which has sidelined him since March 23).
“You don’t want to be minus when the team wins 6-2,” Kovalchuk said. “It doesn’t really matter, but still we as a line we want to produce and that’s what the coaches want from us. They give us a chance to play on the (power play) and all different situations, so you’ve got to put the puck in the net.”
The Russian star didn’t score a point, but he had 22:43 minutes of ice time and three shots on goal. While Kovalchuk critiqued that -1, head coach Peter DeBoer praised his play.
“I thought he was good,” DeBoer said. “First game back, he got his feet wet. I’m glad he got a game under him before we go into tomorrow to get his timing back. He created a half dozen chances for himself or other people. That’s what he does for us.”
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 15
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)