Apr 20, 2013, 12:07 PM EST
Montreal is getting some help to their back line when they face Washington tonight.
Defenseman Raphael Diaz makes his return to the Habs lineup after missing 25 games with a concussion. Coach Michel Therrien says they’ll watch him closely to see how he responds to game action after such a long layoff.
“We’ll manage his ice time depending on how he feels. We’ll see how his conditioning and timing are and go from there,” Therrien said.
The Canadiens have four games left in the season and they’ve struggled a bit lately on defense. They lost Alexei Emelin for the season with a knee injury and they’ve had a hard time replacing his defensive toughness. The effect that’s had on Carey Price of late has not been good as the Habs have given up 24 goals over their last six games since losing Emelin.
Diaz won’t bring that kind of game to the ice but if he can improve upon their play as a unit, Price will be more than thankful for it.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (115)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)