Apr 20, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk‘s return to action was a successful one for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils kept their playoff hopes alive by scoring six unanswered goals and taking out the Florida Panthers 6-2. Patrik Elias had two goals while David Clarkson had a goal and an assist to lead the way for New Jersey. Kovalchuk finished the game with no points and was a minus-one. Hey, a win is a win, right?
The win puts New Jersey six points behind the Rangers with four games to play. Two of those final four games come against New York with one being tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. ET on NBC. The deficit makes tomorrow’s game a must-win game for the Devils.
If the Rangers win in regulation or overtime, the Devils will be eliminated from the playoff race. Even if New Jersey wins in overtime or a shootout, they’ll be hard up against it being five points back with three to play.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11