Apr 20, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk‘s return to action was a successful one for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils kept their playoff hopes alive by scoring six unanswered goals and taking out the Florida Panthers 6-2. Patrik Elias had two goals while David Clarkson had a goal and an assist to lead the way for New Jersey. Kovalchuk finished the game with no points and was a minus-one. Hey, a win is a win, right?
The win puts New Jersey six points behind the Rangers with four games to play. Two of those final four games come against New York with one being tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. ET on NBC. The deficit makes tomorrow’s game a must-win game for the Devils.
If the Rangers win in regulation or overtime, the Devils will be eliminated from the playoff race. Even if New Jersey wins in overtime or a shootout, they’ll be hard up against it being five points back with three to play.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 0
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 1
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 4
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5