Apr 20, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk‘s return to action was a successful one for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils kept their playoff hopes alive by scoring six unanswered goals and taking out the Florida Panthers 6-2. Patrik Elias had two goals while David Clarkson had a goal and an assist to lead the way for New Jersey. Kovalchuk finished the game with no points and was a minus-one. Hey, a win is a win, right?
The win puts New Jersey six points behind the Rangers with four games to play. Two of those final four games come against New York with one being tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. ET on NBC. The deficit makes tomorrow’s game a must-win game for the Devils.
If the Rangers win in regulation or overtime, the Devils will be eliminated from the playoff race. Even if New Jersey wins in overtime or a shootout, they’ll be hard up against it being five points back with three to play.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)