Apr 20, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk‘s return to action was a successful one for the New Jersey Devils.
The Devils kept their playoff hopes alive by scoring six unanswered goals and taking out the Florida Panthers 6-2. Patrik Elias had two goals while David Clarkson had a goal and an assist to lead the way for New Jersey. Kovalchuk finished the game with no points and was a minus-one. Hey, a win is a win, right?
The win puts New Jersey six points behind the Rangers with four games to play. Two of those final four games come against New York with one being tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. ET on NBC. The deficit makes tomorrow’s game a must-win game for the Devils.
If the Rangers win in regulation or overtime, the Devils will be eliminated from the playoff race. Even if New Jersey wins in overtime or a shootout, they’ll be hard up against it being five points back with three to play.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)